Duramax newbie

AKDuramax

Rice-Burner Burner
Hey guys, haven't been on here for a long time but here goes. I had a 01 dodge ctd, sold it, then went to a 99 f250 which had a 7.3 which i replaced with a 12valve and a 6speed, which got totalled in Febuary. Now i have an 02 chevy 2500hd with the LB7 and the Allison 5spd. fisrt GM i have ever owned, and its an awesome truck so far. I want to get some power out of this baby. i want to do an intake, exhaust,gauges, and some sort of programmer. what do y'all recommend? I wanna steer clear of edge this go round. Wanna try somethin different this time.

Thanks!

Kev

If you really want to get some power out of this truck you'll need a PPE downloader or EFILive software. For simplicity go PPE; if you have a laptop and are good at computers EFI is a good option.
With your o2 you probably have a few miles on her so be prepared to build your Allison eventually.
MBRP exhaust/Autometer guages/S&B intake/PPE HOT E.T. would be my reccomendations

She's got 96k on her. I was planning on a suncoast tranny and converter again. had one in my dodge and never had any problems. I was looking at ppe, they seem like they have a good product out there. are injectors a good idea? how do the stock ones hold up? what kind of power? i'm shootin for a solid 500 ponies at the wheels and its my daily driver work truck.

Stock injectors will be just fine. You'll need EFI live and a lift pump to get a reliable 500rwhp, you can also get a dsp2 or dsp5 switch to use with it. Don't forget about tie rod sleeves for 4wd launches.

Injectors will be good above 500. suncoast 3 or 4 w/ a 1057 will do you good. that's what I use.

If you really want to get some power out of this truck you'll need a PPE downloader or EFILive software. For simplicity go PPE; if you have a laptop and are good at computers EFI is a good option.
With your o2 you probably have a few miles on her so be prepared to build your Allison eventually.
MBRP exhaust/Autometer guages/S&B intake/PPE HOT E.T. would be my reccomendations

X2!!! Glad to see another CompD participant... JD4440 said it well. I think the PPE will do good for you if your not looking to get all fancy with a computer. Good luck and keep us posted

She's got 96k on her. I was planning on a suncoast tranny and converter again. had one in my dodge and never had any problems. I was looking at ppe, they seem like they have a good product out there. are injectors a good idea? how do the stock ones hold up? what kind of power? i'm shootin for a solid 500 ponies at the wheels and its my daily driver work truck.

Not many places to drive a hot dmax in Juneau. :D 500 hp is easy to make with your truck without going too crazy, I know nothing aboiut PPE tuners, but have heard you can make 500 with them. You need a lift pump, your tranny, gauges, tierod sleeves and braces, intake and exhaust. Your stock injectors are fine. For 500 rwhp that all you need. I personally would do EFI Live but if you are not into learning that, the PPE is probably fine. Good Luck.

Not many places to drive a hot dmax in Juneau. :D 500 hp is easy to make with your truck without going too crazy, I know nothing aboiut PPE tuners, but have heard you can make 500 with them. You need a lift pump, your tranny, gauges, tierod sleeves and braces, intake and exhaust. Your stock injectors are fine. For 500 rwhp that all you need. I personally would do EFI Live but if you are not into learning that, the PPE is probably fine. Good Luck.

Yeah, no kidding, 43 miles from one end to the other. I'm moving up to Palmer/Wasilla in the spring so there's a little more road to drive on, and there's a drag strip!:D and a dyno in Anchorage. How much does EFI Live run? I was planning on doing an Airdog or FASS system. What about the stock turbo? I'd imagine I'd need to upgrade to be at 500? Where do I go about getting tierod sleeves and braces?

Buy EFI from one of the vendors they will give you 2 tunes with it, you can get a 500hp tune from ost of the guys. Nick @ Duramaxtuner.com is good as is Idaho Rob @ ATP. As far as lift pumps go I have Kennedy Diesel twin pumps they work great and are super quiet too. Air Dog and FASS are great products too though. You can make 500rwhp on stock injectors and turbo with an LB7 no problem. Check the VIN for injector replacement, most of these trucks have/had injector replacmented. Suncoast stage 4 is the best mod I did!!! Becareful with the 1057 converter, I have one now and its a little too tight for pulling drag racing with a IHI turbo, they do work great on 04.5 + truck because of their VVT turbos. Just my .02

Good luck and have fun with it!!!

Idaho Rob would be my pic for the EFI. Airdog if you want a pre-filter, Raptor/PPE if you don't on the lift pump.

Kennedy Diesel has Cognito steering braces and I believe he has his own tie rod sleeves too. Take a look through his site he has alot of nice stuff.

Back