Early 99 Ford PSD Turbo Question....

JacktheBear3

Enthusiast
Guys, I don't get this alot and I know there is a difference, but what are the best options for replacing an OEM Early 99 turbo that has bit the dust.

The early model year had all kinds of odd ball stuff on it that Aftermarket never felt the need to support.... customer wants to gain something if he's gonna spend a few dollars, what's the right thing to do.

Anyone?

JacktheBear3 said:
Guys, I don't get this alot and I know there is a difference, but what are the best options for replacing an OEM Early 99 turbo that has bit the dust.

The early model year had all kinds of odd ball stuff on it that Aftermarket never felt the need to support.... customer wants to gain something if he's gonna spend a few dollars, what's the right thing to do.

Anyone?
There are no performance after market turbos that are bolton.
Beans diesel sells a modified stock unit.
The other options are to upgrade to 99.5 standards and install a Garrett BB turbo or an H2E from Hypermax.

Powerstroke Racer said:
There are no performance after market turbos that are bolton.
Beans diesel sells a modified stock unit.
The other options are to upgrade to 99.5 standards and install a Garrett BB turbo or an H2E from Hypermax.

Thanks David, what is the best way to upgrade to 99.5+ standards? Junkyard, Ford, Somebody on here?

If you upgrade the Air Intake system where does that begin and end... I am imafining the entire turbo plumbing, but do we need to do the manifold side after the IC as well... don't dig on the strokers that much and never gave this all much thought.

then.... how inadequete are the injectors compared to 99.5+ ?

Thanks

The intake plenums are available from powerstrokeshop.com for $64 for the pair. I have a pedestal and intake Y that I was going to use but I changed my mind on what turbo I was going to get. PM me if interested, I got it from David Lott a couple of months ago. Then add a set of bellowed up pipes from BWD and you have a pretty good set up for less than the kit metioned in the post above.

FWIW, the D66 turbo from Beans diesel performance is a damn good turbo. It works great with stock injectors, I ran it for quite some time and it tows great as well. And it is a drop in performance turbo in my book. I put down 471hp with the D66, you can't do that with a stock turbo so again I say it is a performance turbo.

strokin_early99 said:
The intake plenums are available from powerstrokeshop.com for $64 for the pair. I have a pedestal and intake Y that I was going to use but I changed my mind on what turbo I was going to get. PM me if interested, I got it from David Lott a couple of months ago. Then add a set of bellowed up pipes from BWD and you have a pretty good set up for less than the kit metioned in the post above.

FWIW, the D66 turbo from Beans diesel performance is a damn good turbo. It works great with stock injectors, I ran it for quite some time and it tows great as well. And it is a drop in performance turbo in my book. I put down 471hp with the D66, you can't do that with a stock turbo so again I say it is a performance turbo.
+1 the D66 would be a great route to go without having to change everything over to the later set up

Exactly, the D66 is a direct bolt on for the early 99 trucks and it flows more air than the H2E at almost half the cost, $1325. Here is what BDP says about it.

Early 99 BDP Dominator 66
The Dominator 66 is a direct bolt on turbo. You do not need to replace your pedistal and uppipes to run this turbo.The high performance turbo upgrade will flow 1050 CFM. That is a 30% air flow increase of stock. This turbo has a 1 Year replacement warranty. That is almost 100CFM more than the Hypermax H2E turbo at less than half the price and installation time. Maximum recommended pressure is 40PSI. Core required.

Good Luck!

Back