Early model 99 start/drive issues...

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
Friend of mine has a early model 99 Extended cab short bed automatic push button 4x4 truck.

Here are the symptoms...

Extended crank to get started, roughly 12 seconds, then fires and idles fine.

Drives fine till it gets to 40-45 mph then shuts off once shifting into overdrive, almost impossible to get restarted but it will restart and repeat this 2 or 3 more times, 40-45 and it shuts off, finally get it restarted on the 4th time usually and it runs fine after that.

New lift pump.

Rebuilt injectors, Tim @ P.I.S. did them the first time and screwed them all up and refused to answer calls after taking my friends money so it went to Pinellas Diesel Service and had them rebuilt.

Oil changed recently, HPOP is full but oil looks foamy to owner.

Codes are: P0221, P0340, P0381, P1139, P1211, P1212, and, P1249

Last edited:
I'd put money on injector harnesses. Its likely that one of the wires or connector itself is burned. I usually change uvchs after being under the covers and fully inspect pass through ports on gaskets and the pigtails going into the gasket on outside. You can also try the wiggle test, but beings it takes a bit, a connector is prob cooked or not staying snugly clipped under the vc

What is the name of this friend? Who were they purchased through?

We have few issues and have always taken care of them. If I have a name I can tell you if they really bought from us.

And I know you know how to get ahold of me you have called me before.

For the record not one of those codes is typically associated with an injector. He has a bad cam position sensor and bad throttle pedal for the most part.

What is the name of this friend? Who were they purchased through?

We have few issues and have always taken care of them. If I have a name I can tell you if they really bought from us.

And I know you know how to get ahold of me you have called me before.

Austin Jenkins, he is one of my best friends. He PMed you on some PS forum about rebuilding his injectors, you gave him your address, he handed them directly to your "employee" at your house on Boy Scout Ranch Road and you rebuilt them. You told him that they flowed near perfect and for him to come pick them up and you had a sheet with all the flows on it. Your same "employee" handed him a box of injectors with no paper work showing their flows or a receipt. When he called you multiple times again the next day you never answered. We put them in and the truck wouldnt even start. He lives in Lakeland. Those injectors had to be completely rebuilt by Wayna Caulkins at Pinellas Diesel and a couple bad to be replaced...

Last edited:
I can tell you if he called and didn't get anyone he should leave a message. We can not always get to answer every time the phone rings.

If he left a message this would not have happened.

I need more information, what site did he contact me through, when this contact was made and the work that was done.

His name does not show in our books.

If I problem with a product I just paid money for I would call and leave messages until contact was made. This apparently never happened.

Second I wouldn't pay money for someone else to "work" on this product when I had a warranty.

Third if these are the trouble codes you had to warrant an issue with his injectors you were looking in the wrong place.

Maybe I'm missing something to this story, but with out the above info something just doesn't jive to me.

Last edited:
After some digging, here is the thread from the owner

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33536

Not once were we contacted about an issue. And we have PM's months after the transaction.

And stating we rebuilt them is a lie on your behalf. We were only asked and payed to install o rings and flow them.

We did fail to supply the flow sheet, not sure why he didn't get it, but apparently he didn't ask at the time of pickup because one could have been supplied.

I think the thread pretty much explains ALOT.

I apologize, I was wrong on the rebuild statement, I misunderstood what he said over the phone, either way, you did state to him the flows were near perfect, on Pinellas's machine 4 or 5 read low on the flows. He tried contacting you multiple times after the injectors were installed, the truck wouldn't even start, so we swapped in a set of injectors from a spare engine setting in the shop and the truck ran. I just talked to Austin on the phone. He stated that him and you exchanged PM's about the flow sheet and you told him to call you back the following day, he did, and the next couple days, with no answer...

It's hard to settle a warranty issue if the person that is to warranty them doesn't answer the phone. I can understand why he took it to Wayne.

Either way, I don't care, I'm just trying to get the truck fixed for him.

Obvious you do care otherwise there would be no need to try and throw me under the bus.

Here is the so called flow test he had done. Just curious but why is the customers name listed as Wayne when his name is Austin? None the less I can easily write up a sheet and say you need some injectors replaced as well. The funny thing was, WE HAD THE CHANCE TOO, but according to David that did the work they were all very good on our bench that tests all our injectors and have a very small maybe 1% warranty claim.

According to this sheet 4 of the 8 not 5, test below their standards. They don't not work, just flow low.

Recap, you couldn't get it to start with a set of alleged 4 low injectors. When I have had engines running on just 4 injectors plugged in and the others unplugged. Funny as it runs fairly descent on just 4.

EDIT: I just talked to Austin on the phone. Everything is good. He is even bringing the set we tested back to show it is good. You are working currently with another set from another place. Which sounds like the set in the pic.

PS: replace the throttle pedal and CPS.

Attachments

• flow.jpg
    flow.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
Back