Education: Homemade Biodiesel

48snowman48

Plowboy
I am a junior at Ohio State working to become a high school ag teacher. I will be teacher a lesson at the high school where I will be student teaching in the fall based on biodiesel usage. I have a single cylinder Lister diesel engine to use to test different diesel blends for efficiency. I have access to 100% petro fuel and B20. I would like to add a homemade biofuel to that mix.

Does anyone know where I can get ahold of a little (<1 gal) homemade biodiesel? If I had more time with this, I would like to have the kids make their own diesel, but unfortunately I don't. Their last day of school is this coming Thursday, so I need to get on this quickly. I will be in the school Tuesday or Wednesday.

I will be teaching in SE Ohio (New Lexington HS) but am also in Columbus during the week. If you know of any that I can get, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
John

Well if you do this again next year let me know I can ship you a gallon. I make it from mixed oil using NaOH and methanol.

Thanks. I actually ended up making my own and using that. In the class, I had the students make biodiesel using new veggie oil, methanol and lye. We then used the biodiesel that I made the day before and dyno'd a tractor that I brought to the school on petro and biodiesel. It worked out really well and was actually a really cool class. I am student teaching there now and have been thinking about working it into a week-long mini unit.

45 Hp tractor.

Pull 1: 42 HP diesel, 43 HP Biodiesel

Pull 2: 43 HP diesel, 41 HP biodiesel

Pretty neat experiment. I am student teaching there now and plan to do a week-long thing on it. Then we can actually run the biodiesel that the students make.

Back