Edumacate me on intercoolers please!

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
My car has a rather insignificant IC mounted under the left headlight and behind where the left driving light was.

I have a factory opening behind the lower part of the bumper for an FMIC mounted.

My question is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler and if so how do I determine what I need other what my target HP is vs. what someone claims their cooler can handle? How can you tell if one is quality built? What about the fast and furious FMIC's on ebay like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC...3742QQitemZ8061018543QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW? Some are as low as $100 and will they work? What's you opinion of these universal intercooler piping kits vs. the fab/muffler shop?

When it's all said and done I'll have a GT22 compressor that's good for high 200HP's and I don't plan on making more than 250 HP.

Thanks!

Last edited:
86 that.

Looks like I'll be in charge of fabbing up a prototype IC and piping for a manufacturer.

Cool. Stay tuned!

God, they are gonna let you build a prototype? LOL Are bailing wire and duct tape acceptable materials? LOL

I hope so if Andy is doing it LOL LOL

Go Speed Racer! Go!!!

I want to be able to advertise we are the home of the
WORLD'S FASTEST PASSAT!!!!

Billysgoat said:
I hope so if Andy is doing it LOL LOL

Go Speed Racer! Go!!!

I want to be able to advertise we are the home of the
WORLD'S FASTEST PASSAT!!!!

I wouldn't go that far...yet. Fastest Diesel Passat in North America or the Western Hemisphere is pretty safe though.:drive:

The Euro's have had this motor for awhile and make up to 300 flywheel hp [BHP] on stock internals between a chip, turbo, FMIC and injectors. My turbo should arrive any day and the FMIC looks to be on the fast track.

The stock IC isn't as big as an adult shoe box and of course not as deep.

TS should be the debut of stupid fast if everything comes together.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
the 1.8 T gas jobbers intercooler isnt much larger, i think i can spread my pinkey and thumb as far as they can go in opposite directions and touch each end of my friend Jeffs intercooler on his jetta.

i might have a TDi soon so you may need to give me the hook up andy ;) LOL

TwiztedMetal said:
the 1.8 T gas jobbers intercooler isnt much larger, i think i can spread my pinkey and thumb as far as they can go in opposite directions and touch each end of my friend Jeffs intercooler on his jetta.

i might have a TDi soon so you may need to give me the hook up andy ;) LOL

From Fueling to Programming to IC I feel that I'm dealing with the Jeff Garmon's of the TDI world so just let me know and I'll put you in touch with the right people!

very cool andy! thanks a million :) i found a 98 tdi jetta 5 speed for 7 grand an hour away from me, gonna look at it tomorrow. anything i should specifically look for?

Back