egr leaking coolant

98.5dodge

98.5 dodge
04 f350 leaking egr. i am being told to replace the head gaskets they are not leaking at this time what are the chances that they will last if doing an egr delet and injector replacement truck has 180.000 miles this is the first problem with this truck since my customer bought new.do you know a time line it takes to remove the cab and do head gaskets.6.0L

If you can, delete the egr, if not bullet proof makes some decent coolers for them

As far as head gaskets go, if you have got away with it for this long, then it might be ok, but its not a bad idea to do gaskets and studs

I dont know what book time is on heads but im pretty sure most shops charge 6000 or better for it, its time consuming to do it correctly, and with that many miles you can bet the heads prob have cracks in the valve seats and is probably a little warped

can the head gaskets be done with out removing the cab or is it one pain in the but to do.

If you have a lift then lift the cab. Most people on the boards say it takes 4-6 hours to lift the cab. I wouldnt do head gaskets if they are in fact not popped yet.

Dont lift the cab, I am a certified diesel tech at a ford dealership its way more time consuming to lift the cab then its worth, just unbolt the motor mounts one side at a time and use a jack to rock the engine to the side so u can get the the back 2 bolts. we charge right around $5,200

My fathers truck had the same issue with the egr and we decided to do the studs as well. I didn't lift the cab. Either rock the engine as justacummins said or pull the engine out completely. Having the engine on the ground will save your back. It's a bit of a pain but not a big deal. Definitely send the heads out to be checked though. My dads had 4 thousandths warp, 3 bad valves and 7 different guides that were worn out and his had 174k on it so make sure you get them checked. If your in it that far, do the oil cooler as well unless it's already been updated.

job is all done head gaskets and studs egr cooler delet new oil cooler and injectors did not lift the cab did it all in frame not as bad as i thought it would be ready for some more jobs like that.the heads were sent out and machined .4 thousands off them and checked good. runs like a champ now.

Back