enclosed trailer 7' wide V.S. 8.5' wide

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Anyone have preference between enclosed trailers width? I'm in the market for one and I'm unsure if its more difficult to drive with a 8.5" ? I have 8.5' wide deck over trailers but I can still see behind me. I'm assuming with the 8.5' wide enclosed trailer that you can't see much behind you? This will be for a lawn care company. We would be putting 15k+ miles a year on the trailer.

Well your pulling 7' wide of wind resistance vs 8.5' of wind resistance for one. Also yes 8.5' wide is a lot harder to see around than 8.5'. If everything you need will fit into a 7' wide go with that. They're cheaper for one, if you blow a tire its usually just a fender not the side sheeting as well. Plus if you have other people pulling it it'll be easier for them to pull and hopefully not wreck anything that way.

Kronic

I like my 7 footer. I think with the 8.5's there are insets inside for the wheel wells. The 7's dont have these, at least mine doesn't. Mine is a hallmark.

8.5 is a little challenging to see around, I went for the 8.5 as I wanted to be able to put a car in it, as well as get snowmobiles side by side. For your application I would say the 7 would work. I believe some manufacturers have a 7.5. Pay attention to build quality, there are some really cheap trailers out.

I have a 8.5x28 enclosed trailer. I upgraded from a 8.5x20, all I haul is pulling garden tractors in it. It pulls like a dream. The 28' pulls better than the 20' did. I went 8.5' for resale reasons. Will be able to sale a 8.5 faster than a 7' trailer. I ordered it with 5200 lbs axles. Make sure you get it with at least 5200 lbs and not thee 3500 that they usually stick under them. How long of a trailer are you looking at? If your looking at anything under 20' stick with 7'. If you get anything 24' or up get it in 8.5'. Having the extra width will also give you more room to park your lawn care equipment in. They won't have to be packed in right on top of each other.

Last edited:
Back