engine cooling

jones95runner

After last night's pull less than ideal track conditions(rain and wet), engine's were getting very warm from no traction and just letting them sing. Right now we just run small radiator and fan. Didn't do the job last night. Was just thinking about the huge water to air ice box up front wondering about putting a heat exchanger in it and doing away with radiator and fan. Thought somebody else might have done this since water to air intercoolers are pretty standard now.

The problem I see is it would melt your ice at a much faster rate running around the pits and such. Then your efficientcy (sp) of your a/w wouldnt benifit ya as much. $.02

Might be able to add something like a surge tank to hold a little extra volume to help keep her cooled down.

Last edited:
Not sure how much it would help but something like hood loveurs could help some. I added some on my Jeep and it did drop the engine temps some.

The problem I see is it would melt your ice at a much faster rate running around the pits and such. Then your efficientcy (sp) of your a/w wouldnt benifit ya as much. $.02

Might be able to add something like a surge tank to hold a little extra volume to help keep her cooled down.

Agreed, your A/W efficiency for cooling air would suffer. If your weight box is big enough, setting up an ice water oil cooler in a different section might be a better way to go, even if it's in addition to your existing cooling (add a remote filter mount and run the lines to the weight box).

Any concern about cooling the oil too much (viscosity issue before the engine has a chance to warm itself and the oil up)?

I forgot to ask something else, what oil are you running? and what coolant medium are you running currently?

possible external oil cooler?? with a small radiator like a trans cooler and fan might be an option or possibility

Back