Engine dies after 4k rev

99GreenCummins

That guy....
Truck just got finished, I didn't do swap but a local shop did. We were goofing around tonight and attempted a 4k launch. Engine died right at 4k.

Pump is a Columbus pump benched at 650cc, 5ks in it.....other than that I'm kinda in the dark. Columbus injectors to match the pump(suggested by Columbus). Fuel pressure is currently unknown(checking tomorrow) but the pump is fed by a fass 250 with a 50 psi return spring in it.

If we rev to 3500-3700 it will be fine, any higher it dies and ahuta down. Anything to look at first? Wanting the truck for a pull Saturday night.

If the fass is using the factory lift pump wiring as the trigger to turn on, it will cut the power going to the pump at 4k. Re wire the power to a key on source.

When you say dies, what's it doing? Just straight up shutting off or what? Couple years back my truck would straight up shut down after 4k randomly. Ended up being the shut off solenoid. It would drop open at high RPM's. We think it was from the vibrations of solid motor mounts Just figured I'd throw that out there

If the fass is using the factory lift pump wiring as the trigger to turn on, it will cut the power going to the pump at 4k. Re wire the power to a key on source.

This^^

stuck a plunger in one of my pumps because of this. Get it fixed asap or it may cost him.

When you say dies, what's it doing? Just straight up shutting off or what? Couple years back my truck would straight up shut down after 4k randomly. Ended up being the shut off solenoid. It would drop open at high RPM's. We think it was from the vibrations of solid motor mounts Just figured I'd throw that out there
Basically. It would go over 4k and you would lose brakes and steering. Come to a stop and truck just restarts fine. We will rewire pump and then retest. Hopefully fixes the issue.

I would check where they are getting the trigger for the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Easy check to see if it's fuel pressure or the shutoff solenoid would be to tie up the shutoff arm and see if it still dies.

Back