Engine Rebuild Advice

Legendarydslper

As some of you may know I was thinking about P-pumping my 99 24 valve.

I have sort of put that idea behind me for alittle while because I want to take care of a couple other issues (Headgasket leaking some oil, oil pan leaking) and a few other odds and ends.

My buddy who is a diesel mechanic suggested that since we are going to pull the head to put a new HG in it, why not just pull the engine and do a rebuild. This makes alot more sense to me, since the truck has 315k miles on it.

I plan on doing some sled pulling next season, nothing crazy just a few local pulls to have some fun, while still keeping some streetability. I am thinking I can drive a 2.6 truck on the street.

My question to you guys is- What do you think I should do during this rebuild? Anything special that will help the life of the engine? I am trying to keep costs down obviously, but I would like to do some things now while the engine is out vs. wishing I did it down the road.

If you have rebuilt your engine, roughly what did you spend?

I also plan on rebuilding the nv4500 as well.

The plan is to sell the PS62, and the Haisley injectors that are in it to help fund some of the rebuild, and basicly start with a stock engine so I know the exact specs on everything I put into it. The owner before me put the Injectors in it and claims they are 7x.022 which I do not believe but I have not had a chance to pull the injectors and have them sent out.

Thanks in advance for the help...we have a great group of guys and gals on this website! (much better than cumminsforum :rockwoot:)

Here is a picture of the truck: :ft:

Attachments

• 0821091336.jpg
    0821091336.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 28
I would do a compression test before pulling the head. If it tests ok just do the head gasket. I have seen 350k on these engines and the cylinder walls looked like new and the bearings had minimal wear.

Alright I will do that first... It has alot of leaks, im sure there are more than just the oil pan and headgasket, so i figure if I pulled it out I could get everything sealed up properly

Its also a peace of mind thing.

Thanks for the advice Lreiff!

I just had a 12 valve rebuilt that was losing a gallon of oil per 100 miles. The rings and pistons looked awful but the cylinder walls were just fine.

BTW I see you're over at Kzoo, I'm just down the street at South Haven.

if i was you i would go ahead and have the pistons coated just as a safety precaution since your going to be pulling it will also help keep the temp of the oil down. teflon coating the skirts will help reduce any friction on the cylinders.

Well, I discussed coating the tops of the pistons with my friend who is a member on here, and he brought up a couple points about coating pistons:

1. wouldn't coating the tops of the pistons reflect heat to the head, which are prone to cracking anyways?

2. would the coating wear off on a daily driven truck, which would make the coating a waste of money?

We talked about coating the bearings, but thats about it.

coating the pistons would keep more of the heat in the cylinder and not allow it to go into the piston and oil you could have the deck surface of the head coated just the same. keeping the temperature of the oil down will help with keeping the oil from braking down and not lubricating the bearings. the coating would be fine in a daily driver there are many guys that coat their pistons in a daily driver i will be in my build here soon. truck drivers use coatings on their pistons all the time.

Use ONLY Cummins & New Venture parts! For your Cummins parts there is no better person than Jeff(Snedge) to deal with @ MaMau(Sp?) Diesel 724-354-3136. Great prices & shipped right to your door!

I remember reading somewhere recently that NV bought a lot of stuff to do with parts for their 4500's & 5600's. So parts should be easier to come by. So don't skimp on parts. ;)

Crap can't edit from my BB meant to say NV bought that stuff when they went bankrupt is what I remember reading.

Thanks, I will get a hold of Mumau diesel (sorry about spelling)

Do people usually go with new pistons a pretty much stock rebuild? any reason to go aftermarket or anything?

just a question why p pump it?? if your lookin to stay small nothin crazy why not a rebuild like your sayin and stick with the vp?

Well I haven't decided what I really want to do yet. I all I know for sure is, that I want to rebuild the engine because I want to build it up to over 500+ hp and be able to pull a sled pretty well, while keeping driveability. I will figure out if I want to stay Vp44 or go to P-pump in the spring.

Mike, give me a call this week. I have a couple things that might help you out.

Damn you change trucks alot......

Back