Engine Temp and Trans Temp

oct6454

I've been noticing for awhile now that my truck has been going past 190* before it'll cool back down. I understand that most if not all 12v see the temp gauge fluctuate which is fine and dandy but I've been noticing that mine will at times not open until well past 190. I haven't had it go out of the green but it's come close to the end once. Wondering if I should get a new thermostat? Also as far as trans temp goes, what's the point at what temp should I become concerned? No towing at this time.
I've used the search engine to try and find these answers but I was unable to find them.

Thanks, Oliver

No concern that is normal. The easier you drive it the farther it will go towards the top end of the temp gauge from my experience.

Don't get a new tstat or it will take longer to warm up. The tstat you have is my favorite due to the fact that it warms up so fast.

Okay, thanks for your reply! That would make sense, I drive like a grandpa most times because my trans is a little fragile and diesel isn't exactly cheap haha.

Is that a special tstat or just one that's starting to stick? IMO I would change it because I don't like getting near overheating.

Its not special I don't believe. I've only had the truck for a year. I just had a new head and headgasket put in so i've been watching very closely.

Can you point to a website or place where I can get one? I cant seem to find them anywhere!

Mine does the same thing. It'll go a bit past 190 then back to 160, and from then on it stays @ 170. Cummins T-stat with @ 25K miles on it.

Contact Snedge for Cummins parts.

I have the 180* tstat in mine and it never goes above the 160-180*. I am also running the CAT ELC coolant. This is also with a fresh engine and new radiator.

I got mine at Cummins in Nashville. It was close and convenient. I'd suggest you contact Snedge at Mumau.

Strange I always like those tstat's that cycled.

The 180* tstat's take forever to warm up especially in cold climate under light loads.

oct6454 I want your old tstat please name your price, thanks. Seriously unless someone has a p/n for the old style tstat.

Back