External w/g

spooled05

Im wanting to add an external gate to my ats 3 piece manni. What tig rod should i use to weld the pipe to the manifold? Would it be a good idea to pre heat before welding? Thank guys

look up "welding cast iron" on google, there is a specific heating process to follow for best results

I tig a fair amount of cast i always use a stick rod with the flux chipped off and sanded clean. I would suggest using an oven or something of the sort to heat it up rather then a torch. bring it back cool the same way. if you have to use a torch go SLOW take the heat up easy using temp sticks or a good thermometer. when you bring it down get it cool with the torch to a stable temp then bury it in DRY sand so it is surrounded all the way around this will help it keep from cracking and slows the cooling. A friend who is a very talented welder with a very successful mobile business uses a mig welder with solid wire straight argon no preheat no cool down! He has never had a weld crack a little i dont know how he does it LOL! I haven't been brave enough to try it yet and wouldn't recommend it! All in all the if you have never welded cast have someone who has do it. it can be a real crap shoot sometimes. Also if you jump on weldingweb.com and cruise around there is some REALLY smart helpful welder/fabricators on there that really know their stuff!!

i agree with letzgoracin301 there is a very tempermental and if you do the slightest thing the wrong way you will get a crack. but i could be wrong but i believe with some casts are more prone to crack after welding then others. i ran across it once didnt ask much about it but they have a cast iron welding rod i think it has a lot of nickel in it and its weird to use the rod but looks very smooth when finished. stop by the local air gas, welding supply store and they always help you out.

Back