F800 or International 4700?

Lance

Loner
Which would you pick and why?

F800 has a 5.9 with an auto trans

International has a DT466 with an Allison 545

i would say the international. especially if the ford has the expensive gerling hydraulic brakes.

What auto does the ford have? I'm not a fan of that Allison tranny.

I would bet the Ford has the same trans. Some of the buses we maintaib at work use a 545, and we have had very little trouble from them. They are used daily, stop and go, pulling trailers with drivers that do not understand what it means to drive a vehicle like you care about it.

The Internationals cab is the downfall of the two IMO.

i like the f800 body, but i like the intl dt466 engine. however i HATE automatic transmissions

I would bet the Ford has the same trans. Some of the buses we maintaib at work use a 545, and we have had very little trouble from them. They are used daily, stop and go, pulling trailers with drivers that do not understand what it means to drive a vehicle like you care about it.

The Internationals cab is the downfall of the two IMO.

Both of them have armored truck cabs. Only thing left is the hood, engine and drivetrain

Yeah I should have thought about that! I think I would go with the Cummins still, have read alot about liner failures when we had a bus at work crack one.

like i said if the ford dosent have air brakes stay away. we just did the brakes on an f800, the loaded backing plates are not available anymore so the rear shoes were $268 a side, the the wheel cylinders were around $200 a piece and theirs 2 of them per a side.

I would imagine since they are armored teucks they would have air brakes

I vote the IH, but swap in a good trans. The liner problems were more on the 466E. The older ones could do it, if the coolant wasn't taken care of.

Back