Faulty cylinder head?

6.boom

Unreliable
My truck is in the shop 8k after the first rebuild/stud job with another blown head. I went yesterday to get some answers of what went wrong. What I was told is it was a faulty cylinder head. A manufacture error. 3 glow plug sleeves were leaking. Both my heads were replaced in May. So Ford is supplying us a new head free of charge. The mechanic said he's never seen anything like it. Has any one ever dealt with something like this?

I know they have a poor flatness tolerance, but I've never heard of anything like that before. But I've always heard to get the Ford heads checked at a machine shop before install.

I know they have a poor flatness tolerance, but I've never heard of anything like that before. But I've always heard to get the Ford heads checked at a machine shop before install.

+1 getting ready to do a stud job on a friends 04 like I mention a while back. when I was digging for information I was told that even if the machinist says ".003" deck is good to still have him deck the head to .000".

Ive heard of more heads cracking than this "glow plug sleeve" leaking..

its coolant leaking right?

A good friend of mine had a reman set directly from Ford have multiple cracks show up when he magnafluxed them before the install. So no type of issue with these heads surprises me anymore.

I worked in a Ford dealer's shop in '03/04, and I remember a new 6.0 coming back for an oil leak. Valve cover gasket was replaced and it was still leaking. It was finally found to have a cavity in the head casting that oil could leak through to the outside.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

all data mentions that "Threadlock 262" witch is high strength thread locker should be applied to the new glow plug tube.

it sounds like you got bad a bad head. thank you NAFTA.

Replaced many heads due to cracking. The 06 and up are the best castings. You can use them on early blocks but will have to replace injector hold downs to bigger late model and drill out rocker cover bolt holes to fit. Did that on my personal truck and several customers vehicles

Back