Finding a drive pressure leak?

Levi_plummer

Hey i think i may have a problem with a manifold leak. Can anyone tell me a secret witchcraft way to find a drive pressure leak? I was thinking of just spraying down the head-manifold gaskets (soapy water) and just start brake boosting it to look for bubbles. I tried pressurizing the manifold with a blow gun through my pyrometer hole but i guess it bypasses to much air through the exhaust housing. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Any exhaust leak serious enough to worry about will show plenty of evidence, black soot on everything near it.

Pull the valve cover and remove rockers from the exhaust ports so that they all close. Shove a nice big potato in your tailpipe or something large enough to seal it. Then pressurize. I'm assuming it is a problem because you can hear it tick?

Tape a shop vac to the exhaust and set it to blow, then listen for the leak. You can dump some kind of powder to help narrow it down if needed. I came up with that trying to find a tricky exhaust leak on a old range rover and honestly was pretty proud of myself. LOL

With the engine running. Cap the tail pipe with a piece of cardboard or plywood. All leaks will step forward.

My exhaust has quite a few leaks. Especially the downpipe. I think it may be time to break down and build a good one.

when engine is cold you can spray soapy water onto suspected areas, immediately after startup it will bubble where there is a leak.

Back