First Gen Truck- Second Gen Intercooler Mod.

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
Without taking the front of the truck apart to investigate what is entailed- It looks to be a easy modification for fitment.

Anybody shed some light on this? Pics?

IC'd models have a slight problem with the grille iirc. The NON-IC'd trucks don't have that problem. The 7.3L PS intercooler fits better in the IC'd grille.

Yup the 7.3 would be better. I have a 24v i/c in my 1990. Have to shave the grill in the back a bit but it fits.

RonA put in one upside-down....seemed to fit ok with a little torchin through the core support.

I am using a 2nd gen IC in my 1/2 ton project. Shockingly, its the same width as a Dmax IC and the outlets are in the same general spots.

Last edited:
I already have 3 of the second gen i/c's and a 4th gen. The 4th gen looks a bit tall right off the bat.

Need pictures !!

With the Ford intercooler work with the a/c condenser?? I want to retain a automatic transmission cooler, and condenser. So I was thinking of dropping all three in from a GEN II.
If I can get a ford unit to fit and work better- I'm game. Got access to trimming tools and a plasma cutter. I thought of just splicing in a gen II radiator support... but that's a lot of work and I have a new GEN I radiator already.

Michael

Back