First puller

Texasbr

Hey guys built a handful of cummins up but me and my buddy finally want to do something with it.
Money isn't so much a option but who wants to spend what's not necessary. I own machine shop so all the things that entitle that I have been there and done that (so I think lol)
Lookin to put together a truck in a 2.8 class and just tapping in here on what all I should be lookin forward to in the build.

Injectors we haven't thought about really yet.
Head is all covered
Cam is covered
Pistons covered
As along with lower end

Turbo as far as it goes now we are wanting to use a hx 60. We want up go to a full billet later on but just trying to get started now.

All the safety stuff goes on forever so I'm not even gonna list it. We will be running in the TTTPA.
Just trying to hear from some experienced people on what you would recommend just building ourselves or buying and what not. Keep in mind that I have access to unlimited machines with my machine shop.
Thanks again and opionins welcome!

First things first, USE THE SEARCH OPTION ON HERE. It is your friend. Lots of knowledge and many setups have been discussed over and over thru out this forum...... As for the 2.8 class, as far as i know that class is long gone unless there are still a few un heard of pulls that still have the class....

Last edited:
what kind of truck are you wanting to build? dodge, chevy, ford? that may help us give you some advice. also around here in IN the 2.8 class is long gone.

I think he's talking Cummins, and if so, I recommend running 6 injectors.

most people who run HX60's seem to run those big Hart's 5x25 dual feed injectors with a 13mm pump. But thats what I've found searching these forums.

Get a good clutch and do all your safety stuff, traction bars, sled stops, suspension blocks, and let her eat. Your going to break stuff so just upgrade as you go.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it will be cummins, to the 6 injectors response.... Anyways, there is still a association in Texas called the TTTPA that has a 2.8 class but like y'all said and from what I read on here it's becoming a scarce thing. Just don't have the funds to build a 3.0 and still compete well enough so we'll make do for now.
Unfortunately the truck doesn't look like it will be ready till half way through this years pulling season but it will be good enough to get our feet wet and like y'all said break some stuff lol
Would y'all just go ahead and recommend building all our own stuff like air shut off, drive line loops, traction bars, etc... Or not to cheap out in certain areas and just spend the money. Trying to hear some of the been there done that stories.
Thanks again

Last edited:
2.8 vs 3.0 is the same price when you break it all down with parts broke vs building it strong the first time... I thought money was no option?

Well like stated above "money isn't so much a option" but can only spend what I have. That and the association I will be running in is really small and only has a 2.8

trust me if you thinking about 2.8 over 3.0 if you crunch the numbers it wont be that more money i have spent a enough money on fixing parts and now have to go bigger and rebould it

Search is your friend. There are tons of places to buy parts, but there are tons of places that buy parts from places who build parts only to sell them to you for more $.02. Ya kno what I mean? Search around. Some of the best threads are stickyed here like the traction bars and pulling hitches threads.

TTTPA is 2.8 still because rules were locked for 3 years, we have one more year and we can do a rule change. That being said 95% of us are running 2.6 turbos, so don't feel like u need to build a 2.8 only truck to keep from pulling at such events like nadm or nhrda pulls coming up here in tx... If u have a "machine shop" why wouldn't u build all or as much as possible for your truck..

That's very helpful information about the rule changing soon. Thank you! And I'm willing to build everything myself, just thought I would ask and see if something's were easier said than done kind of deal.
But I won't waste anymore of your guys time. I will spend more time on the "search" function and see what all I can dig up.
Thanks guys

The biggest difference between our organization rules and others is mostly the safety, they require a shield at every u-joint, autos must run a blanket, full fire suit gloves neck brace SA rated helmet and leather shoes or boots(or racing sfi shoes) must be worn. The worst ones is the 5/16 shield thickness (5/16 steel or 3/8 aluminum) most organizations require 1/4 thickness and they dont allow dually wheel spacers whatsoever no exceptions. If u are going to run with us for sure and have any questions pm me or ask here, I help tech the truck and might be able to answer your questions..

You also must run OEM axles... which it was was the big differance from the 2.8 and 3.0 classes further north..

Buck.. No spacers between the dual wheels.. is everyone running an modified dually rim? or just running the tires tight aganist each other?? I know some had built some extenstion early on to run the duals on 3/4 hubs... (I guess they never used them with the TTTPA..)

Bryan

Thanks HT3500 for all the info I'll be sure to get in touch with you with any other questions I have

You also must run OEM axles... which it was was the big differance from the 2.8 and 3.0 classes further north..

Interesting, I guess this only applys to certain individuals.

I will leave this at that.

Buck.. No spacers between the dual wheels.. is everyone running an modified dually rim? or just running the tires tight aganist each other?? I know some had built some extenstion early on to run the duals on 3/4 hubs... (I guess they never used them with the TTTPA..)

Bryan

Bryan me personally, I have to let the air out of both tires bolt them up and then air them back up. I know a some of the guys are running custom wheels I believe..And as far as oem axles goes, the axles must be from a production 1-ton or smaller truck just like the transmission..

Sorry.. I ment 1 ton or smaller.. We currenty are not pulling in the class.. So I haven't looked closely at everyone pulling in the class... The class has come along way and gotten strong in the last 2 years..
It will be interesting to see where the rules go after this season..

Stay tuned Bryan this season will be fun to watch for sure, lots of $$$$$$ being slung around these days. A lot has changed since the early days...

Back