Fixing clear coat that has a "Smudge"

FlyingHighRacin

Ok well here is how it goes. I have a Steed Speed manifold that I had blasted. I hit it with 3 coats high temp primer, 4 coats of high temp flat blue, and 3 coats high temp clear coat.
It look perfect and I was really happy with how it came out. Well that didnt last long because I had it in the bedroom at my house sitting on the floor to finish drying. Thought I had it put out of the way enough so that nothing would happen but leave it to my wife. She managed to kick the top section by where it says Steed Speed on the front. The it smudged the clear coat bad enough to where Im thinking about just blasting it again and doing it over.
Just wanted to hear from some guys that have more experience with the subject and Im wondering if I can let the clear coat dry and they lighty sand it with a fine grit sandpaper, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and then clear it again.
Thanks Zach

id try wet sanding since it sounds like you have a good enough clear coat layer. Then maybe reclear it once more and call it done. get some good 800-1000 grit and go to town.

id try wet sanding since it sounds like you have a good enough clear coat layer. Then maybe reclear it once more and call it done. get some good 800-1000 grit and go to town.

Ok well I have never wet sanded before so what exactly is the process? I was just going to take fine grit sandpaper to it. Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm just gettin started on my painting.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Ok well I have never wet sanded before so what exactly is the process? I was just going to take fine grit sandpaper to it. Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm just gettin started on my painting.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Its just sandpaper, wet it down with water. Use 800, be careful and don't burn through your color. Lightly sand until the smudge is gone. If you burn the color may as well respray it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Back