flange thickness

gwhammy

What do you think I could get away with, 3/8 inch on a t3 flange or go ahead with 1/2 inch. I'm a little tight on space so every little bit helps. Some of the flanges will have alot of extra metal around some of the edges.

For a spacer it should be fine. Most likely it will warp if you're welding on it.

I've got a big belt sander I usually flatten all my flanges with. Even the 1/2 warp some welding on them. I'm thinking just hanging he351's off of them the 3/8 is what I'm going to try.

I've got one that looks like this.

Attachments

• gate 015.jpg
    gate 015.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 45
I just finished my He351ve swap on the Junker Drag Truck and I cut my flanges out of 1/2" thick angle iron. With just my cheap lower temp Harbor Freight 120volt flux core wire welder it warped the flanges. I was wondering if it was due to the angle iron stock or just the nature of welding on 1/2" flanges.

I guess they all warp!

It's just the nature of a weld. You can skip weld and help it but trueing up the flange is the best way I've found.

Great, now I have an excuse to buy a belt sander! Years ago when I was a kid, we used to race my Dad's belt sanders. Wind em' up, and drop them on a sheet of plywood. Tons of fun for a 10 year old.

you can just set them side-by-side and plug them into the same power strip... hit the button or plug the power strip in, and let 'em go :D

Back