foaming power steering fluid!!??

jon28

hey guys on my 97 2500 recently i just did pitman arm seals on the box and everything was good for about a month or so and now i noticed i had another bad leak and though it was the top of the box.... well its not its the power steering pump actually foaming and pushing the fluid out of the resiviour and i dont know if theres a seal between the vaccum pump feeding the air into my steering, but any help would be greatly appreciatted oo and p.s. if i let the truck set about hour or two it stops foaming and returns to actual liquid again.

-jon

This happened to mine at the beginning of winter, I changed the fluid with standard valvoline power steering fluid (it is an acceptable replacement for mopar fluid)and it fixed it.

mine had and has right now valvoline in it and i've run also atf lol so guess i'll drain it and try another new bottle maybe i got a bad one, thanks guys

I pull out the old stuff, then refill it, turn the wheel lock to lock 20 times or so, then pull out fluid again and repeat three times or so.

Mine would do that every time it got very cold out. I'm not sure what exactly was causing it to happen but the power steering fluid would be really foamy and foam out of the fill neck and would be burnt (like from a toasted tranny)

In my experience regular ATF was not any better than PS fluid. Synthetic PS fluid lasted about 2 years before foaming and smelling burnt. I had great luck using B&M "Trick Shift" ATF. It has lasted 4 years now and counting. It is supposed to be for high performance racing transmissions and can usually be found at your local parts house. The price is a little salty at around $7.00 a quart but well worth it in my book to not have to mess with it every winter

I just used a cheap turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the resevoir and then fill with fresh fluid. Run it and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock a couple of times and then suck out the fluid again. Doing the flush and fill process 3 times seems to flush out all traces of the old fluid.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks stroker smoker and thats exactly when mine started was bitter cold and its been gettin pushed out and looks burnt so thank you for the suggestion i'm gonna give yours a try!
jon

Back