for those wondering or considering Compounds...

USMCShooter

BrokeandSmiling
YES...it's worth it!

So I've recently done a lengthy build thread about my trials, but yesterday I had the opportunity to try the truck in a true towing situation...and...just....WOW!

I had to help a buddy go get a truck that wasn't running....it's an 8200 lb truck, on a 2700lb car trailer. I'm still running the truck on the tune that was in it prior to rebuilding the engine. I had a Super B Special (64.5/71) Turbo on it, BD Cooler, Turbo/manifold blankets, BD 3-piece exhaust manifold, UDC tuning. It's a G56, with 3.73 gears and SouthBend dual disk.

I drove 45 miles down a road I've towed on many times. As a test, I set the cruise control at 60mph and let it run...there are 4 decent hills that required me to get a run at to keep from downshifting to keep EGT's under 1300, and by run, I mean up to 80-ish mph....and anything over 8k, I'd still have to downshift.

I pulled all 4 hills, in high gear, on cruise control, and the truck actually accelerated uphill to 63mph....and EGT's' never reached 1100!!! The truck pulls like a damned freight train! Boost was 43psi at max...just absolutely loving the difference in the truck!

I installed a high-mount Pusher system, Tater-Built HE351 housing (62/65) under an S475...I have yet to be half throttle with the old tune....highest recorded EGT to date is 1084 and that was under an 11,000lb load, uphill, in high gear.

If you're on the fence...DO IT!

Gunner

I agree. I have been collecting parts for twins over the past 5 years, finally got it all together over the summer and couldn't be happier. I'm running a.stock HE351 over an HT60, and I haven't seen egts get much above 1000 at all on my 12 valve. Heaviest load I've pulled was a full 8 ' bed loaded with fresh cut oak logs 2 days ago, will be pulling a 8k camper plus 1400lb side by side in the bed this summer into the mountains. Instant tire shredder when I want too, very fun.

This isn't (IS) what I needed to hear. I just posted in my thread that I'm not sure I am ready to do compounds on my RV. I am already working on putting an HE351 on. I have a K31 and a BD cast elbow and probably enough flanges and tubing around to do everything but the oil supply and drain.

Dieselbeef-depends on what you mean, "best all in one kit"....there are numerous folks out there making twin kits....I went with Pusher for several reasons, one, I didn't have to change exhaust manifolds from stock configuration...I already had a BD two piece on the truck. Two, their mounting assembly is bulletproof, a buddy of mine has been running one on a Baja Rig in Southern Arizona for over a year...he's broken mounting hardware on two other brands that I won't mention here....he BEATS on that thing...15-20 foot jumps etc...they make a basic "add a turbo" over your stock one....I chose to upgrade a bit from stock, in a stock housing...the assembly wasn't a cake walk, just tedious...if I had it to do over again, I'd pull the passenger inner fender well and battery out....besides that, it's very straight forward...I did nearly all of it myself, but having a friend around to hold stuff while you install V-band clamps would be a good idea...

I did nearly all of it myself, but having a friend around to hold stuff while you install V-band clamps would be a good idea...

I was laughing with my wife the other day... I pull engines and transmissions by myself.

But I always want a hand to put in a downpipe!

Back