ford 10.5 rear axle rebuild

cwente

brought to you by drinkin
Ok I have an 05 f 350 with the 10.5 ring gear. It started making a whining noise when downshifting as its a 6 speed truck. It gradually turned into a growl and was doing it constantly so I pulled it apart tonight. The pinon bearings were bad and the pinion gear ate into the carrier housing but was still usable. I picked up a new bearing kit. Stuck it all back together but wasn't any tighter. All I could figure is the crush sleeve on the pinion shaft wasn't letting it pull together tight enough. I measured the slop in it and made a thinner bushing in the mill. Put it together. Perfect backlash and pinion shaft nice and tight but not over tight. It seems to work great but just makes me wonder did I do something wrong or has anyone else ran across this?

I would've peend the housing to make sure the race didn't spin . as long as your backlash is in spec and you have a good pattern on the ring it should be good . The shim for the ctush sleeve is fine and has been done many times . Good luck .

Your pinion shaft is stretching, common on these, you need to replace it as it WILL eventually break and take the whole housing with it.

Thanks for the input. I guess as long as it works ill run it for now

Shim you made is fine. Racers have been doing it for years. Probably need to replace ring and pionion next time though

Back