Front 4 link vs ladder bar setup

reddline

Does much setup info transfer from rear mounted drag racing 4 link to front axle 4 link, where everything is mounted the opposite way? Is there really much difference between front 4 link and ladder bar other than 4 link giving more range of motion between the front 2 wheels? Other than the 4 link keeping the pinion angle correct.

Yes there is a difference. For example the 94 and up dodge front suspension is a 4 link set up and they hook smooth as glass with little to no upgrades, but the 08 and up superduty ford trucks run a radius arm front suspension (which is the same as a ladder bar set up) and they suck for pulling.

The fords radius arm setup sucks because the instant center is so close to the axle. The dodges parallel four link has an instant center at an infinite point behind the truck. Therefore giving it greater "leverage" over the axle. That's why you see guys fix the ford front ends by adding more shocks and different shocks. If your looking to build your own and willing to spend the time to do it right then definitely go four link, but saying you can use a drag setup and just flip it around can't be answered in just yes or no. I assume since this is in the pulling section you don't have a huge lift and aren't concerned with major wheel travel. So if I were you I'd set it up more based on your caster angle than pinion angle because assuming your vehicle is close to stock height, your pinion angle will be at an acceptable angle. My current project is doing a front four link on my 97 F350. I can post some pictures once I get it mocked into place if it would help.

The fords radius arm setup sucks because the instant center is so close to the axle. The dodges parallel four link has an instant center at an infinite point behind the truck. Therefore giving it greater "leverage" over the axle. That's why you see guys fix the ford front ends by adding more shocks and different shocks. If your looking to build your own and willing to spend the time to do it right then definitely go four link, but saying you can use a drag setup and just flip it around can't be answered in just yes or no. I assume since this is in the pulling section you don't have a huge lift and aren't concerned with major wheel travel. So if I were you I'd set it up more based on your caster angle than pinion angle because assuming your vehicle is close to stock height, your pinion angle will be at an acceptable angle. My current project is doing a front four link on my 97 F350. I can post some pictures once I get it mocked into place if it would help.

Radius arms suck for controlling torque. The only thing adding shock damping is doing to a radius arm front suspension is trying to convert the "shocks" into a torque control device which is a poor bandaid fix. Better to 4 link it and be done. With a radius arm, when the axle twists under torque load, where does the motion go? Into the springs and shocks.

Yeah it is. Ever watch a ford pogo the front end down the track losing distance and if its bad enough stuff breaks

yeah, we had a ford guy around here that did that for years with leaf springs, then welded a dodge 4link/coil over setup in it and fixed it. i dont remember if it was ever ran on stops or not tho.

Radius arms suck for controlling torque. The only thing adding shock damping is doing to a radius arm front suspension is trying to convert the "shocks" into a torque control device which is a poor bandaid fix. Better to 4 link it and be done. With a radius arm, when the axle twists under torque load, where does the motion go? Into the springs and shocks.

Torque is a twisting force. Anything that controls the axle housing from twisting is containing the "torque" your speaking of. Also, your argument contradicts itself. If shocks are just a "bandaid" but all the energy gets transferred to them, why is putting on better shocks to control the energy a bad idea? I don't understand what point you were trying to make but like I said before, if someone is willing to put in the time to set it up right then yes, go four link. If your not willing to put in the time to design/setup things the way they should be, then leave the stock stuff on because you have no business doing it yourself.

Torque is a twisting force. Anything that controls the axle housing from twisting is containing the "torque" your speaking of. Also, your argument contradicts itself. If shocks are just a "bandaid" but all the energy gets transferred to them, why is putting on better shocks to control the energy a bad idea? I don't understand what point you were trying to make but like I said before, if someone is willing to put in the time to set it up right then yes, go four link. If your not willing to put in the time to design/setup things the way they should be, then leave the stock stuff on because you have no business doing it yourself.

Axle wrap is a result of torque. Torque is a force that needs to go somewhere. Sending the torque into the springs/shocks is a waste of energy. Adding shocks is a waste because they are using energy that could be going into the ground to do work for the truck. I think we are both on the same page though. Your last sentence I agree with 100%.

Back