Front Brake rotors and pads

turboman1

My old brake rotors are ground in some so they have about an 1/8 inch lip on them...should I get them turned down our upgrade to some better ones. I am kind of wanting to upgrade if the price is right, so which companies rotors should I go with.

Also which set of aftermarket brake pads should I get?

Thanks
Adam

my opinion on rotors and brakes anymore is.......

buy another set from the average parts store, when those ones go junk in a year or two, buy a nother parts store set, heck maybe even a napa set!

after markets arent going to gain you anything on a big @$$ truck, they may help a bit, but nothing your going to be able to measure.

rotors are cheap enough now i would just buy parts store sets and a good set of ceramic pads only to keep the dust off the wheels.

case and point....put a good set of slotted rotors on my trans am, less than a year later = junk, warped........so next to go on is a set of regular rotors

not sure if hawk makes brake pads for our trucks, im sure ebc makes some different compounds now, they are selling ebc at pep boys now. i would get ebc pads and stock rotors

Hell go to auto zone they have lifetime warranty pads for under 50 bucks. Im on my 3rd set in 3 years and they just keep replacing them.

Hell go to auto zone they have lifetime warranty pads for under 50 bucks. Im on my 3rd set in 3 years and they just keep replacing them.

Chunk them, get new ones. I use Hawk pads and NAPA rotors. Reasonable and work fine.

I think I am going to get my rotors turned down if they are good enough too and then get some of ebc greenstuff brake pads (low dust ones). If the rotors are no good I think i will just get stock replacement ones.

When it came time to replace my rotors I went with power slots and a set of hawk super duty pads. Worked great for the first year of use, much better than the stocks. I only put about 5-10,000 miles a year on since I have a company vehicle to drive during the week. After that the slots started to rust and affect braking performance. After cleaning the slots once or twice a year the rust eroded onto the braking surface.I contacted Power slot and they said there was nothing they could do for me and that it was a result of the low amount of miles put on and the bad winters in my area and that I should not use slotted rotors even though I use the truck once or twice a week which should have been enough to keep the rust at bay. Well I already had ordered a set of EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and yellow stuff pads. I broke them in per their directions with very light use and no hard stops for the first 500 miles after which I took her out on the highway and did 6 hard stops from 60 to 20 letting them cool in between. Even with light use to 1000 miles when they were to have maximum braking this setup sucks! I had a ton of sand in the back the other day and they heated up and faded with hardly any braking and yes my rears are adjusted. As suggested I will be going back to regular rotors and a set of hawk super dutys next.

Because I have a 96, hard to remove rotors, I buy the softest pads I can, less wear on the rotors. Cheaper and easier to replace the pads than rotors.

Floyd

I'm using the ebc 7000 pads and thus far they definitely offer improved braking with the stock rotors which are probably past what many would consider normal exchange interval. We'll see how they hold up.

When it came time to replace my rotors I went with power slots and a set of hawk super duty pads. Worked great for the first year of use, much better than the stocks. I only put about 5-10,000 miles a year on since I have a company vehicle to drive during the week. After that the slots started to rust and affect braking performance. After cleaning the slots once or twice a year the rust eroded onto the braking surface.I contacted Power slot and they said there was nothing they could do for me and that it was a result of the low amount of miles put on and the bad winters in my area and that I should not use slotted rotors even though I use the truck once or twice a week which should have been enough to keep the rust at bay. Well I already had ordered a set of EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and yellow stuff pads. I broke them in per their directions with very light use and no hard stops for the first 500 miles after which I took her out on the highway and did 6 hard stops from 60 to 20 letting them cool in between. Even with light use to 1000 miles when they were to have maximum braking this setup sucks! I had a ton of sand in the back the other day and they heated up and faded with hardly any braking and yes my rears are adjusted. As suggested I will be going back to regular rotors and a set of hawk super dutys next.

Change your brake fluid after you bed the rotors in. At least give em a good bleeding. 10 good stops like that will almost certainly boil the fluid, especially if it's the stock fluid. Get some DOT 4 or better synthetic. I did this after bedding in my dimpled/slotted rotors from brakeperformance.com. Much better pedal feel and response.

I didn't get a drastic decrease in stopping distance with the D/S rotors. I only did the front. For the cost I'm happy so far.

I swapped in new calipers at the same time and flushed the entire system. I use DOT 5.1 which should have been fine but I will bleed them again it's worth a shot. NickTF are yuor wheels getting dusted? The 7000 are supposed to be dusty but mine are producing very little dust.

I'm curious to know if it helped or changed anything. Let us know the results. Starting with DOT5, it may not make that much difference. Curious to see.

I know the 10+ stops (No, I didn't actually stop. That is an important distinction for those contemplating this. A complete stop will impregnate pad material in one place on the rotor and insure shudder akin to warped rotors. Read up on proper ways to bed rotors before trying this.) I did on mine had smoke rolling from the fenders. Last few began to fade and pedal pressure got really loose. Last stop was a gradual slowing with the pedal damn near the floor.

Back