Fuel Cooler

smokinVE-you don't need to mount it to your grill if you use a cooler/fan combo. You can mount that sucker anywhere you want. Granted things are tight under the hood of most of our trucks....

I was talking about this comment.
on the ve's a have built , i run a the biggest trany cooler i can fit in the front on the truck to help cool the fuel off , seems to help the fuel stay cool , no fan required . my 2 cents

Looking around I suppose I could squeeze two of them in the budget..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-Row-10AN-Engine-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-7-Electric-Fan-With-fittings-kit-bla-/181660878926?hash=item2a4bd5084e&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mishimoto-Heavy-Duty-Transmission-Coolers-with-Fan-MMOC-F-/331603205451?hash=item4d35175d4b&vxp=mtr

I have an aluminum manifold in the engine bay that collects a -6AN line from the fuel pressure regulator return, a -4AN from the IP return, and a -4AN from the injector return. The manifold then has a -8AN line going back the fan assisted bar & plate cooler adjacent to the fuel tank. The cooler has a -8AN line play back into the furl canister (I've modified the crap out of it as well). The cooler is ducted so as to pull cool air from under the vehicle's side, and blows it up into the space of the bed's side.
Any chance you can post some pictures of your return "collection" manifold?

From what I have heard the return coolers that are on DMAX are to prevent condensation. They are not for performance

on the ve's a have built , i run a the biggest trany cooler i can fit in the front on the truck to help cool the fuel off , seems to help the fuel stay cool , no fan required . my 2 cents

Do you have a fuel temp gauge?

Imo it might help a large semi running 100 gal per tank of warm fuel but I'm not sure the temp difference makes enough difference on a personal vehicle. I would also be installing it on the return line to cool the fuel before the tank and to avoid leaks on the supply. You could use a trans or oil cooler with fan mounted and place anywhere even under the box.

Well I ordered two. I'll be installing them on the feed and return. I'm months way from the truck running so I cannot report anything for quite a while. I'm hoping to pick up a cheap ish(all of you cts1 guys pm me) data logger and I'll add fuel temps to the mix. BUT don't hold your breath for my results, very slow build in progress.

With my outdated injection pump, supply side isn't nearly the pressures of most of you guys. 10 psi idle ramp it up to the 35-40 range via a boost regulator. I figure the coolers I ordered can put up with those pressures on feed side.

Doesn't matter if you have the fan to cool the return line 200*, because you can't make it cooler than ambient. So I'd still prefer to cool before the injection pump, or lift pump if it's farther back and electric. In my case, the fuel is going back to the tank at 195*F, which seems really high by the way LOL, no way ambient or road temps will make it even hotter. Might as well let it sit in the tank and cool a little. If you cool before the tank, it just gives it time to warm back up before going back to the front. I think of it like anything else, cool it before you use it, not after. But if that breaking down at 140* bit is true, then I might might a feed and return cooler.

energy in = energy out, regardless of where you put the cooler. Also consider that you can think of it as similar to a transmission cooler - hot fluid out from the trans, through the cooler and back to the pan.

energy in = energy out, regardless of where you put the cooler. Also consider that you can think of it as similar to a transmission cooler - hot fluid out from the trans, through the cooler and back to the pan.

Trans oil is getting pulled back through a lot faster though. Fuel has time to sit there and warm back up.

I'm playing devils advocate here, if that wasn't clear. Except for that fuel breaking down bit, that does worry me. LOL

Any chance you can post some pictures of your return "collection" manifold?
Everything under the hood is black, so I had to place a piece of paper behind it so one could clearly see it . . . .

IMG_7276_zpseiega0gu.jpg

Does anyone know if that hard plastic line with the push lock fittings that they use for water meth, nitrous, boost lines, air bags etc... is diesel resistant?

Back