Garrett GTX 4202R, GTX 4208R Mag, GTX 4508R

Duramax2006

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
I've been trying to figure what turbo to go with and need some advice on which one would suit my needs the best. I've finally settled on the Garrett line of chargers and the three I'm interested in are the GTX 4202R, GTX 4208R mag, GTX 4508R. Either way I go I know I'm going to need a 1.01 exh housing, wg, bov as to maintain full use of the truck I choose to put it on but I need to know which on is the better route to go? I use my truck for everything which is why I'm keeping such a tight exh housing in mind. I would love to go the GTX 4208R mag route as to later step up to the 5541 compound setup but will the 4208 mag work fine as a single for the mean time as the budget will only allow for one turbo upgrade at this time.

Going to need some good tuning and hope you don't tow. I'd go with the mag. I almost pulled the trigger on that one. What do you have for fuel and I hope you have a built motor...

All of the engine work and even more fuel will happen in the near future just would like to know what charger to start with once built. I have good tuning Nick @ dmaxtuner does mine. I'm going to need to be able to tow in case I break something at sled pulls. my plan is to build each truck as bulletproof as possible thats why I'm looking at such a tight exh housing for the time being. I'm only looking to start with one truck and build the other later as time and money allows. Which truck would you start with and you would go with the 4208R mag?

Seems like too much comp wheel for the small turbine wheel. Might be more fit for a gas burner.

All of the engine work and even more fuel will happen in the near future just would like to know what charger to start with once built. I have good tuning Nick @ dmaxtuner does mine. I'm going to need to be able to tow in case I break something at sled pulls. my plan is to build each truck as bulletproof as possible thats why I'm looking at such a tight exh housing for the time being. I'm only looking to start with one truck and build the other later as time and money allows. Which truck would you start with and you would go with the 4208R mag?

42 turbine is mismatched for the 80mm wheel. Its a no no on a diesel. The 80mm wheel needs at least 45-47lbs of turbine flow to at least be somewhat efficient. Which means you would need at least a 1.44A/R on that GT42 turbine wheel minimum. At that point its better to run a larger 87mm turbine wheel and smaller A/R to achieve the same flow since efficiency would be higher that route.

What housing would you suggest if the 1.01 is to tight 1.44 seems awfully large to me and will be a bit laggy til I can later step up to a compound setup with the 5541 over what I'm thinking would be my choice of the 4208r mag. Just trying to get a feel for what will be best for my needs now in a single app. Compound will come later. I love the kit ppe had in 2011 on dimitri's red ccsb but I just dont have that kind of $$$ right now and will have to grow in to it.

Last edited:
Gtx4202r should be more than enough. A standard 42 would even be fine.

So would the 1.01 housing be suffice for the time being with the GTX4202r in a single app? I know it will have to be changed when upgrading to compounds.

I have a t4 1.01 that im needing to trade for a 1.15

So would the 1.01 housing be suffice for the time being with the GTX4202r in a single app? I know it will have to be changed when upgrading to compounds.

1.01 A/R will work just fine. We have several D-max customers running them with that setup on daily drivers. Works and spools very well.

1.01 A/R will work just fine. We have several D-max customers running them with that setup on daily drivers. Works and spools very well.

When you say daily drivers do you mean built or would that charger do fine on a stock engine/fuel setup? If it'll work then the GTX4202R with the 1.01 housing is what I'll go with for the time being thanks so much for your time and info

From your sig, you've dealt with DTS down there before. David will get you set up with a Garrett that you will love, and then there's no guessing game for you to deal with.

Tim

When you say daily drivers do you mean built or would that charger do fine on a stock engine/fuel setup? If it'll work then the GTX4202R with the 1.01 housing is what I'll go with for the time being thanks so much for your time and info

For stock fueling we have most customer going with the GTX4294 and 1.01A/R housing.

Back