Gearing ?s

MoPower05

I tried a search first, but couldnt find what I wanted. My question is gearing?
? #1 3.73 vs 4.11s in same built truck 1/4th mile
? #2 I have 4.56s and 33" tires. I can turn 4000rpms can I run the 1/4 mile
? #3 Would 35" tall tires make enough difference?

I'm not a drag racer

thanks

what RPM would you like to be turning ? that is the question....

No my question is on the track (in a dodge, cummins) two equal trucks typically what do the guys that drag race prefer 4.11 or 3.73. I thought this was going to be a easy question.

Randy's Ring & Pinion. RPM Calculator.

use this calculator to figure out your rpm vs mph, gearing/tire size depends on how fast you intend on going

Thanks this is fun, but dont know what my speed is going to be at the end of the track. Using this it tells me if I hit 119mph then I'm out of gear. Just thought race track guys could tell a sled puller some quick answers. I could give my opinion 5 different ways if this question was asked about pulling.

Take your projected power and race weight, plug them into a calculator like this to determine possible rpm at the end of the track. Then using a calculator like this using a little less than max rpm to determine the best gear ratio for your tire size (make sure to divide the final gear ratio they give you by your transmission ratio to get the rear end ratio you wanted.
Doing this will determine the gear ratio that will give you the most mechanical advantage while maxing sure you aren't totally tached out at the end of the track.

IMO people usually use to large of a tire that over stresses the drivetrain and misses out on the advantages of leverage.

$.02

Last edited:
3.73 is the best gearing option out of those listed for a dodge cummins 4x4 that plans to make 500+ HP and run 1/4 mile.

Honestly 3.55/4 is a better gear option for those trying run quicker than 11 seconds. Shorter tires really help out and you can't run short tires with 4.11 gears and 48re gear ratios.

Thanks those were the answers I was looking for. After pulling at TS and KY smokeout I want to come back to Florida and try the 1/4 mile.

Im having a heck of a time with 4.10s..I run 10.40s--10.50s @ 122mph...If you dont know, thats a pretty low trap speed for that et. Truck just doesnt pull in the high rpms.. Im swapping for 3.54s as soon as i find a decent set.. And of course have the time. after all. Its a diesel and likes to be lugged..

Back