Getrag south bend installation

89cumminstd

So I recently got my south bend single disk clutch for a swap I am doing. I also got a new flywheel with the pilot bearing already in. In the box with the clutch there is a brass bushing and more hardware with a sticker on it saying only for use with getrag. This bushing fits on the input shaft but not through the bearing on the flywheel, what is this and the hardware for? Thanks in advance
CompD Mobile Device

Last edited:
I believe the bearing is for NV4500 installations. The Getrag uses the brass bushing. Just knock out the bearing from the flywheel, and install the brass bushing.

I have not done this, but this is what I think should be done. Can you post up a pic of the parts so we can see what your talking about....not sure what the additional hardware might be?

I put a south bend in my truck. Ya need some pics of the parts u got. Kinda need a refresher on what u need to do!

The first pic is the flywheel bearing and the second and third are the bushing and hardware that was with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's out of a 94

I measured the clutch and it is a little over 12". I also slid the flywheel with the bearing it came with onto the getrag and it fit perfect. The kit has a needle bearing in it as well though. My guess is that they send the original bearing with the clutch incase you reuse you don't buy the flywheel with the clutch.

Leave the bearing that's in the flywheel and throw away the brass bushing. The brass bushing is for the original getrag flywheel.

Peter

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. It turns out I got the flywheel for the upgraded 13" clutch, and the clutch I got was for a stock flywheel which takes a 12 1/4" clutch I beleieve. I went to put the pressure plate on today and none of the holes lined up. So I am sending that one back and getting the 13" clutch rated for 400 hp and 800 tq so I can use this flywheel with the upgrade bearing. I thought it was odd that they would send the original style bearing as well. Thanks again for the help.

Back