getting ready for paint

BlakeW

AKA a3ftgiant
What grits sandpaper should I use to get my truck ready to go in for paint? Im using a DA and a block (some little dents). Ive done it before just can't remember what I used. Thanks in advance for the help..

Start with 220 and end up with 400 using a DA ...

Just remember to follow the basic rules & it will turn out fine. Here is my checklist. I'm no pro, but here is what I follow.

1. Before priming over a panel which you have fixed dents using filler, always guide coat & longboard to assure its straight. Guidecoat is sold at any body store in cans. All guide coat must be removed before priming.

2. Bare metal surfaces must be cleaned/treated with Picklex or similar metal prep. prior to spraying epoxy primer.

3. Always use epoxy primer on bare metal, then shoot your Urethane surfacer, then block that with 360, 400, & finish with 600 grit paper. You will be watching the more coarse sand scratches disappear.

4. Clean the surface with soap & water, then spray off with hose on mist setting. Then clean surface with clean rags, wax & grease remover, then wipe dry with a clean rag. Mix your paint, allow it to sit while you tack rag the panels.

5. Always follow instructions to the "T" when mixing paint.

6. Basecoats should be sprayed on with the gun 8-10 inches from the surface. Gun adjustments should be made so that you have a wide pattern. Usually turned all of the way open. If you get striping, turn the pattern down.

7. Always overlap your passes 50-75% & watch for even coverage.

8. Before clearing, make sure base has set up atleast 10-15min & dry to the touch. check your basecoats for dust/bad spots. At this time, you can easily remove spots using a tack rag or scotchbrite pad, then shoot more base.

9. After base is dry, tack rag again to assure no dust in clear. Apply first coat of clear with a wide pattern 50-75% overlap & lay it on wet, but keep the gun moving. Not so wet that it runs, but wet enough so that you see a shine.

10. Apply 2 more coats of clear 15min between coats.

CUMMINS724

Back