Goofy 47RH 2-3 shift

will24

That guy
Hey guys, been trying to sort out a weird shifting issue with my 95 I use as my service truck/towrig.

The truck is STOCK except for an open air filter. 95 2500 4x4 auto regular cab, 171k miles, Unsure if the trans is original.

Lots of guys tell me that I should be happy it still moves at that mileage, but the RE and RH both seem to hold up pretty well with a little maintenance on a stock truck. Our farm truck has 180k on its original trans and it shifts sweet still.

Ok, here's whats happening.

Truck will start out in first fine, shifts to second.
Second starts to rev out way more than normal only occasionally, there is no 2-3 shift if the RPMs go disproportionately high.
Let out of the throttle 3 seconds or so, shifts fine.

There is ZERO other slippage, converter locks up tight. I'd like to just fix the shifting issue, but it seems valve body related to me.

What are you guys thinking?

Thanks!
Will

Does it do it only when cold? only when hot? Anything you can tell is a common when it happens?

Temp doesn't seem to matter. It tends to happen more under load (pointed up hill at a stop) than downhill. So slightly more throttle I guess would be the only consistency.

Sounds like how mine started...

It now shifts from first to third...

Second is completely gone...

Sorry I can't be more help..

And I haven't touched the TV cable since it's intermittent and the 1-2 shift never acts up. If part throttle by 38ish mph the shift hasn't happened it won't, it will drag out to 43ish I believe and it's sitting against the stock governor springs at that point

Will

update regular maintenance stuff.
adjust the band, clean fluid and filter (maybe even hydraulic fluid instead of atf)
adjust tv cable and try again.

I would suspect the front clutch seals are leaking. Possibly other internal leaks too. Does fresh fliud change it any?
Pressure checking is a good idea to figure it out.

Sounds like how mine started...

It now shifts from first to third...

Second is completely gone...

Sorry I can't be more help..

The front band is out of adjustment or the strut has fallen out of place. You can drop the pan to see it and change the fliter/fliud.

If its never been rebuilt then the direct drum probably has the shorter seal that they put in from the factory. THere was an issue with the groove for it being machined too deep and it causing some problems. I had a '99 that wouldnt shift to 3rd when cold but once the fluid warmed up a little it would. I replaced the seal and the problem went away.

They have a taller seal that should be installed now to cure the issue.

mine did the exact same thing, would not shift to 3rd while on the throttle or under a load. adjusted tv cable and front band( never dropped the pan) and its been shifting fine for 70k now( with adjustments at every 24k). trans had 40k on it when i bought the truck and it had the problem.

Sorry for bumping an old thread(at least I searched LOL) my trans is doing exactly this. I am flushing and switching to tractor fluid this weekend. Is adjusting the band the fix for this? If it is can someone show me some instructions please.

bands are easy, do a search. or go to autozone and get a book. try adjusting tv cable, the proper way is to adjust the slack in it to where there is none. basicly as soon as the throttle starts to move, you can see the lever move on the trans. i like mine a little tighter personally. since your gonna do the fluid do the bands as well.

Back