Got something strange going on here

J.Keith

Pro Diesel Tech
Got a 05 here that I've been fighting tons of issues on and I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys before I tear into the motor.

05 CR in a 04 F350, started out with 90hp DDPs, stock CP3, got a Smarty to tune it, it originally had a 66/71/16 on it. New motor, has never run right. Stock cam, valve work and minor porting. I didn't do the motor. Still haven't been deeper than the valve cover.
Complaints with it were low power, high egt's and low boost.
Things I've tried.
Switched to a 62/65/14
New stock injectors
Has 21-23k of RP
Every imaginable combo of Smarty tunes
Stock tune

Still, either the truck has extremely low power with a stock tune, or at best it makes right around 330hp on SW7. Always have to back out of it with EGT's going through the roof.

Codes it sets,
P0243 Wastegate
P0483 Fan Speed (has a 24v fan clutch)
P0622 Generator (Ford stuff controlling that)
P0463 Fuel Level Sender
P1652 J1850 Short to Ground

Ideas?

Jeremy

I would definitely fix the short to ground.That's the com's bus and will throw everything for a loop if shorted to ground! Then move on to the waste gate issue I think you flipped the numbers it should be a P0234 over boost. Your gonna need a boost fooler for sure! The others are nothing major do this and see what happens!

No it's a P0243. Wastegate Pressure Control

Isn't the 1652 a fault because there is no Jtec or BCM present? If not then this could be my issue

Wastegate code is nothing to worry about. A 10 cent resistor across the original terminals for the gate controller will make that go away.

As for the issue has the truck been checked for boost leaks? It sure sounds like one. Look hard at the factory Ford intercooler. Plastic end tanks will separate off the aluminum core fairly easily, and are hard to find without putting the system under pressure.

Thought of that...
It's got a Spearco 6.0 intercooler in it. Pressured up the system from the turbo intake and it would hold 40psi easy before it blew off my tester boot.

thanks guys, keep them coming.

I had a similar issue with my truck, it was low on power, smokey, and egts were high and uncontrollable even with water/meth.

Ended up being a combination of things, the head was cracked, had loose valve seats and 2 bad injectors. The problems (low power,smoke,egts) seemed to appear gradually not all at once.

a 62/65 is not real egt friendly to start with but should make better power then that.

To fix the wg code you will need to hook up the power wire that feeds both the wg controller and the fan clutch then either a resistor on the plug or plug the original controller back in and zip tie it up somewhere.

The short to ground code will always be there with a conversion and doesnt make any differance.

Almost sounds like the cam could be out of time maby? You shouldnt have any trouble makin over 400hp with pretty low egts with that thing.

Back