Gta4088s (cat c13 high pressure) questions.

biggy238

Does anyone have experience with these or just the gtv4088? Im guessing its kind of vague and im working on the specific model number.
What compressor covers and turbine housings are available? The data I found from detroit diesel states that the gta is the boreless version of the gt wheel. Looking at the char on a table makes the turbo look attractive.

Sent from my MB860

Its a decent upgrade for a Dmax, a few guys run them, good for upper 600's. Idk about the housing and what not...

If you get me the Cat p/n and or the Garrett p/n, I might be able to help you more.

Boreless compressor wheels limit you to replacing it with another boreless wheel and none of them are real "hot rods" so if you want super current aero, you'll have a real hard time getting it. If you just want a plain-jane bigger charger than what you have now, it could work out fine depending on what you want to do. Garrett has stopped selling boreless turbos for aftermarket uses....when you do retarded things to them, they can't hack it. The boreless turbos need to be kept within their original design window.

Give us some details on what you've got in mind.

small derail on topic discussed above.

I am under the impression that the gt50 is a boreless design. Is that true and if so it seems like a bad idea to get one for a twin set?

Many of the GT50s are boreless in OEM applications but I can't say for sure ALL are. Plus I believe aftermarket dealers like FI and others now have access to GT50 turbine wheels and can make whatever (check me on that though).

A boreless GT50 would be fine as an atmospheric charger...in fact it was used on the Cat C13 Acert as the low pressure charger in front of a GT37 HP in over the road trucks. (this may be correct for cerain model years only)

All I'm saying is, don't overspeed the living crap out of it, keep it within reason and it should work fine. From what I gather, a through-bore shaft supports the wheel a lot better than the threaded stub connection, when it comes to beating on it at the limit of its RPM range.

Last edited:
Good info. Very much appreciated.
I have a friend that might be scrapping out part of a fleet of C13's and could maybe provide me with a chra. I found a few remanufacturers selling the 4088 frame for these engines. I agree that I need serials to confirm.
I measured one of the units in our shop at 2.4 inducer and was just toying with the idea.
Free+endless supply of remans at cost makes finding a cover and turbine housing worth my while.
Im not sure if my mods are showing since im on tapatalk but the truck should be capable of 500 to 550hp.

Sent from my MB860

Back