Gun-drilled vs Solid shafts

RyanB

Hey Guys...I haven't posted in a while and am up against the wall on which way to go with some rear shafts for my new axle build. Sold or Gun-drilled? I hear pro's and cons to both but am still up in the air on which way to go.

Thanks...Ryan

Gun drilled axles are stronger because more area can be heat treated. Added benefit of lighter rotating assembly too.
That being said I had a set of Branik axles in my 11.5aam that were not drilled and never had a a problem. IMO a good set of billet axles with drive flanges don't need to be gun drilled

They allow twist and spring too. You break the inside on solid. There's nothing to break on rifle drilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are all points i have heard many times but I have also heard from many in other forms of racing say that gun drilled axles are actually weaker...as in it takes less torque to twist them to their breaking point. These shafts are 2" 300m

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Also...they are only 25.5" long

I have Branik axles in my Duramax and they are extra long... I don't expect troubles. But I'd call them and ask their opinion on drilled versus non-drilled axle shafts. I trust that they would give you a straight answer. Then you can share their suggestions here for the rest of us...

I have talked to drag guys personally (funny car) that said they had issues with then. And have heard about circle track and rock crawlers also saying the same things...over all weaker but free up some hp. I personally don't care about the weight...just dont want to spend decent money to have a failure sooner than a solid shaft

I talked with Craig at SCS last week about some axles for our truck and he says the gun drilled ones are failing in the diesel trucks. The lunging and bouncing at the end of the run really loads them and snaps. He convinced us to go to a solid axle.

Removing material from the center of a shaft never makes it stronger...unless you are having hardenability issues with the alloy being used (i.e., not selecting a through-hardening alloy. 300M does not have that issue.....so rifle drilling is just lightening the part. It CANNOT make it stronger. That is a wives' tale spread by people who don't understand engineering mechanics (especially the torsion formula).

I could show you all the math and whatnot but use your head....when does taking material out of anything make it stronger, unless you have some weirdo exception case.

Axle shafts are pretty well figured out at this point, LOL, there is no voodoo going on!

They allow twist and spring too. You break the inside on solid. There's nothing to break on rifle drilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ 100% WRONG. Maximum stress in a shaft under torsion is NOT the center.

Engineering mechanics 101 people.

Those are exactly the same points I have heard and has made my decision easy...solid it is and a $250 savings on my pocket! Thanks

Back