He351 retrofit help

TTR 21

Human Spear
I'm working on putting the he351 off my 04.5 CR on my 94 12 valve and need to know where I hook up my wastegate line to. Do I leave it attatched to the turbo or do I hook it up to the hardline running to the afc? I'm having a brain fart right now but if I am thinking correctly I hook the line up to the afc hard line and to the head of the wastegate. Am I a$$ backwards or is this correct?

you could hook it to the afc line, or just use the factory line on the compressor housing. if you do it that way just remove that line from the afc and block it off

Does hooking it up to the afc hard line have anything to do with controling the preboost. What are the differences I will see from hooking it up to each?

Well finished the install and everything went pretty smooth. Turbo spools great and builds about 43 pounds of boost. I also installed 191 dv's, a mack rack plug, gutted the grid heater and removed the passenger side battery. I ended up fabricating my air to air pipe out of the old stock exhaust i pulled off. The bends up and over the rear axle were just about perfect. I cut the flanges of the stock pipe and welded them to the pipe from the exhaust. I also had to build a bracket for the wastegate since it didnt line up with the turbo being clocked to match up to the oil drain tube. the thing still get hotter than piss and will peg the gauge no problem but has much more power. Total mods so far are 160 pump tuned by me, 4kgsk, 16* timing, HE 351, mack rack plug, 191 dv's, afe intake, 4in. exhaust, KDP tabbed. Im headed to Diesel Thunder tomorrow and will try to get some dyno and track times for ya guys!

moto_0116.jpg

moto_0119.jpg

moto_0120.jpg

moto_0122.jpg

how's the smoke control, lag, and power difference compared to a hx35

Cool setup.

With 43 psi boost, you ought to be able to swing 450 to 475 HP on the dyno. If you want to get to the 500 range, it will take 47-50 psi. Be careful though, about 1 in 10 HE351's fly apart on their first trip to 47 psi.

In my opinion, 43 psi is the perfect balance of turbo longevity and getting nearly maximum horsepower out of the setup.

Try adjusting the AFC spring just a little. When I added a little more tension bringing the boost up, smoke down, lower EGT, and more power from my HE351. I love the little turbo on my DD but if you over fuel it down low she will never recover. Get it going and she will preform well. When I dialed the AFC in I actually got higher EGTs at first as the fuel was hindering the flame but once I got it right I cruise 70MPH at 600 degrees and gained 2 MPG.

Well i dynoed and raced the truck at the track yesterday and it did better than i expected. I was hoping for 300hp and at least mid to high 14's at the track. dynoed a best of 332hp and 724tq. ran a best time of 14.5 @ 94mph. my stock injectors are definately holding my back. the truck will smoke off the line then clears up instantly. a little tuning might help as well but i really think the injectors are my biggest enemy right now.

how's the smoke control, lag, and power difference compared to a hx35

well i also added 191dv's and a mack rack plug when i did the turbo. being that the HE351 has a 9cm exhaust housing it spools instantly and the smoke clears up intantly as well. the power difference is much stronger. from the bottom end to the top the truck runs 100 times better. i figured the 9cm housing would kill my top end but it still seems to pull pretty good.

14.5 sounds great. A few ideas for more power:

Have you modified your overflow valve yet? Have you checked your fuel pressure? How tight are your governor springs? If you advance the timing some more, you can pick up another 30-40 HP.

Based on my Junker Drag Truck experiences, I'd guess that with larger injectors, an HE351 is enough turbo to get 12 second 1/4 mile passes.

14.5 sounds great. A few ideas for more power:

Have you modified your overflow valve yet? Have you checked your fuel pressure? How tight are your governor springs? If you advance the timing some more, you can pick up another 30-40 HP.

Based on my Junker Drag Truck experiences, I'd guess that with larger injectors, an HE351 is enough turbo to get 12 second 1/4 mile passes.

i havent modified the overflow valve yet but will probably do that today with your bic pen spring idea. :thankyou2: I also dont have a fuel pressure gauge yet so cant check that. My 4k springs are pretty tight and idle is right at 1000rpm. Timing is set at 16* right now and i dont really want to go any higher until i get some studs to hold things together a little better.

After i fix the tranny in the Dirty Dodge (my 04.5 CR) i will be purchasing some sdx 5 x 0.014. Hopefully those will get me to a mid 13 second 1/4 mile pass.

I would also like to find a bigger exhaust housing for the HE351 but with all my searching it just doesnt seem to exist.

what style is your truck??? 4x4 2wd long bed short and cab?? im just trying to get some numbers in my head.

i run 15.4 at 89.8 ( thats with spinning off the line. ) 2wd long bed ext cab

edit:: stock trans, stock turbo

what style is your truck??? 4x4 2wd long bed short and cab?? im just trying to get some numbers in my head.

i run 15.4 at 89.8 ( thats with spinning off the line. ) 2wd long bed ext cab

edit:: stock trans, stock turbo

reg cab long box 2wd w/ stock trans! I did a 10psi boosted launch and eased into the throttle so it wouldnt spin.

Here is the time slip

R/T ... .229
60' ... 2.182
330 ... 4.582
1/8 ... 9.344
MPH ... 74.89
1000 ... 12.172
1/4 ... 14.561
MPH ... 94.30

10 psi launch with a stock trans. hmmm. what the hell did someone tell me not to launch over 5 psi for LOL , i launch at 5 psi and still spin.

my time slip:

r/t----.082
60'-- 2.326
330---6.453
1/8---9.914
mph-- 70.48
1000---12.925
1/4--- 15.448
mph---89.89

How much bigger is the He351 than a stock HX35? What style of down pipe is needed to swap one in?

60/60/9. The 9cm housing isnt devided so it is more like an 11cm housing. The exhaust size flows much better than the HX35. You will either need a 3rd gen down pipe or get an adapter from Jkidd or Ebay that hooks the HE351 to to an HX40 downpipe.

Back