Head Studs and O-rings for 6.0l

CGardner

So, my head gaskets are blown for the 2nd time, this time while having ARP studs.:nail: So, I've been pondering all sorts of things for a couple of days now regarding how to solve this issue for good, because I don't really want to do it for a 3rd time. Has anyone done some machine work and used larger studs (may not even be possible)? The studs are most likely not my issue, but more likely the Black Onyx head gaskets that I used; either way I'm still curious about the larger studs thought. Going to use OEM gaskets this time around. Also, in the future I want put on some fun parts like 225cc injectors and an S400 turbo; something like that. Should I o-ring the heads for mods like these?

Oring the head. Use ARP head studs. Cold re-torque is crucial and use factory head gaskets.

Stock head gaskets and make sure block and heads are flat.

I see the 6.4l stud uses studs that are 2mm larger in diameter in comparison to the 6.0l studs, which results in a 30% increase in strength. Assuming the metric threads have the same pitch it should be no problem to machine the 6.0l block for M16 threads and 20mm dowels, drill/ream the cylinder heads, and use appropriate length 16mm diameter studs (couldn't use 6.4l studs because the length is different). May be overkill, but just thinking.

Thinking I'll send the heads out to UCF Machine Shop and have them go through the heads and o-ring them. I think Liberator Performance uses these guys for the o-ring heads they offer.

You should have no reason to go through machining the block out or wasting the money to do so

I've been running Hypermax's fire ringed head gasket kit that requires machining of the cylinder heads for nearly 8 years with zero issues. Kit was $1000 that included the 8 fire rings and the single layer graphite gaskets.

I had 235's and a s 300 on mine. I beat on it hard pulling it, all i had was head studs and ford gaskets. Even reused the studs when i rebuilt it. Never had a problem with them. Also never heard of anyone machining them bigger. Not sure how close you would be to coolant passage in the head then.

Back