Header installed today!

BigBlue12V

Casey (Headcase98002) and I got my header installed today. It is this one: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-MOTORSPORTSSU/-strse-27/diesel-cummins-header/Detail.bok

For those wondering. I got it from a local guy that had bought it new and never installed it. For the record he did say it took a couple months and a few phone calls to receive it after ordering it. He didn't outright dog Hogue but mentioned there was a little hassle. I don't know this guy really so take it for what it's worth. At any rate, it looks killer. I've had it a couple weeks and was going to wait and install it when I build a twin turbo setup, but finances are not where they need to be right now so I decided it would look better on the truck than in the floorboard. It is definitely a work of art and it would be awesome to mount on the wall just to look at! Lol I'm very pleased with it. The gaskets that come with it are nice I like them. They are the good thick lead coated ones. It came with all the gaskets including turbo flange gasket. It came with studs for the head. Unless previous owner lost them, it didn't come with turbo studs and the flange is threaded differently than factory 12 valve manifold. A trip to napa took care of that. I took it to my machinist and had him drill and tap both of the "pads" on it before installing, so that they were nice and square and done right instead of my bit or tap being broke off in the thick stainless. I had him do both sides in case I ever wanted to check the other side. I just plugged the unused one.
Due to my engine being a Freightliner model in a 96 Dodge, not everything was straight up all Dodge 12 or 24 valve setup. The heater hoses appear to have been "custom" for the application. Regardless they would have needed redone no matter if they were factory Dodge or not. We took the longer shaped steel pipe that was discarded after doing the twins on Casey's truck and modified it to run under the header and up between header and Jacobs exhaust brake actuator, and the other hose barb in the head we moved back. Some 90* hoses from Napa got everything plumbed back up the way it should be. The hoses are now hardly visible at all and what you can see looks clean. The Jacobs brake clears the header nicely. Everything fit up pretty good but the header would not slide onto the studs when studs were tight in head so I had to back them off about 1/4 turn each so they would wiggle ever so slightly. Now it fit tightly. Overall very happy with finished product! Seems to spool quicker and smoother. The thermocoupler goes in a lot different than factory manifold so its not fair to say it is cooler or not but for what it's worth the idle temp seems hotter but it is cooler under hard throttle. The probe goes all the way across one runner and the end is poking into the next runner. It barely clears the weld where the two runners are joined together. The ferrule is so tight on the probe that I did not try to slide the probe outward any at this time, plus I had to bend it to clear turbo.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711618.895251.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711635.609896.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711650.119693.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711660.027850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711672.673219.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711686.335322.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711696.287958.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355711705.020582.jpg

Oh and yes I need to clean it all up better!!!
The studs for the header/turbo flange are metric 10x1.25 just in case someone runs into this. I never can find enough info on something when I am searching so I will try to help all I can. I was only able to find a handful of reviews on this online before I got it so I know someone will read this one day and I'm more than glad to help all I can.

Have you ran it yet? Seen a few of them, the one guy I talked to about it, wasn't very happy, said he was continually welding on it to keep it from leaking.

That its nice looking. Wasn't there a thread with one of these compared to a steed? Besides the cost.

Sent from the recliner butt naked

Oh and yes I need to clean it all up better!!!
The studs for the header/turbo flange are metric 10x1.25 just in case someone runs into this. I never can find enough info on something when I am searching so I will try to help all I can. I was only able to find a handful of reviews on this online before I got it so I know someone will read this one day and I'm more than glad to help all I can.

I don't know why manifold manufacturers can't just use OEM hardware. Why make it a finer thread, or my pet peeve with the steed manifold, smaller standard fastener when both the turbos and manifolds are metric.

Yes, we were expecting everything to just swap over from the factory manifold, but were surprised when the M10x1.50 studs wouldn't thread in. The only auto parts store that had studs was Napa and the close early on Sundays. But your right, how hard is it to pick up the correct size tap?

Have you ran it yet? Seen a few of them, the one guy I talked to about it, wasn't very happy, said he was continually welding on it to keep it from leaking.

I've put about 5 miles on it that's it.... the project already ran too late into my day so I was just checking it out real quick then getting back home.
Time will tell how it holds up. It may be a piece of junk or it might hold up really well.... maybe i will get lucky and not have any problems. Maybe that guy just had an early one with crappy welds. Idk? Wish me luck. Like I said i couldn't find much on these things so I decided to be a guinea pig.

I would like to see the difference of it to a steed.
Well I can't afford to buy both and the only dyno I'm willing to run on is 2 hours away. If you'd like, you can have a Steed Speed manifold sent to me and include about $500 for time, trouble, travel expenses and dyno costs, and I would gladly compare the two side by side back to back. :lolly:

I don't know why manifold manufacturers can't just use OEM hardware. Why make it a finer thread, or my pet peeve with the steed manifold, smaller standard fastener when both the turbos and manifolds are metric.
Craziness... just that way to make us mad I think! :soap:

Cliff had something similar, don't know if he ever did a comparison thread though.

For the fasteners, I used all thread for the turbo side, and trimmed to length, for the manifold I just bought my own bolts from lowes or somewhere like that.

That header is made by polydyne here in Houston and Greg just resells them. I have a prototype version of their twin style and its ok. The factory studs worked fine on mine. I noticed better top end but spool was hurt some due to the larger primarys. Imo not worth the money I spent but oh well it give me 6 Internet Rep! The ammount of work I had to do to make it work was frusterating, but I knew this may happen and was warned by Carl (the owner).
Pre coated
9038e993-1.jpg

And it coated on the truck.
F4AF4872-D3F1-42FB-BE10-C938078DAFE9-873-00000135077FB39C_zps42c3b761.jpg

It did catch my dire wall insulation on fire so if yours is close then I suggest removing it.LOL

Mine is no where near firewall but one heater hose is real close to it, so far its showing no signs of getting too warm. I've now put almost 75 miles on it ( been driving the car to work) and so far I love it. If the pyro is accurate, it has really helped with temps a lot, not really cruising temps but under heavy throttle acceleration. Eager to tow with it. Plus it gets tons of compliments and I love looking at it!

We ran one on my wifes 2.6 truck, loved the way it spooled with a SB66 and a loose converter. It sounded great at WOT with a 5" stack. We also caught the firewall insulation on fire at a pull, so I cut out the insulation and put some heat shield on the firewall. Also had the problem of it cracking at the welds. Sent it back to have them fix it, just to have it crack again by the end of the next year. Now it is a very expensive shop decoration.

so far no cracks i know of.... definitely the cats @$$ for towing though! Have finally got to tug some weight around with it and love it for that! At the same time I've also been messing with my pump and that may help. Running "3/4 cut" DV's (Lazer cuts?) and 50hp nozzles. Ordered 150hp nozzles from Jamie @ CPP on black friday sale, same day i put DV's in, and still waiting on the nozzles. Would have waited on DV's if I had known it would take this freaking long on nozzles... speaking of i need to shoot him an email. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry. I'm certain I am being one of his most patient customers considering I also bought a pop tester adapter, VP pump and rack plug that day. Got the pump and plug right away, so i got the VP truck out the door quick (Thank goodness), the plug is still kicking around waiting on nozzles and pop tester to get here so we can set the injectors and re-do the timing and pop the plug in when pump is loose for timing. Time for a clutch next LOL....

Finally got the goods from Jamie! Hopefully going in this weekend along with tappet cover gasket that finally let loose the other day, and the Mack plug that's been sittin here since November. And redoing the timing. These are 75hp CPP Sticks, already popped for P24V application. Gonna set timing to 16 for now and hopefully she will cold start better, pick up mileage and run better. Got a lot more tuning to do on pump but its gonna be closer....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359617155.701024.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359617180.696713.jpg

That 'stinger' is cute haha

Is the turbo completely supported by the header tubes, or are there braces welded between the flanges?

That 'stinger' is cute haha

Is the turbo completely supported by the header tubes, or are there braces welded between the flanges?

Thats the wifes idea. lol Lets not go there. LOL Thats what I get for letting her design our labels. She had 2000 labels printed before i even saw them.

You all are making me nervous talking about your headers cracking! So far I LOVE this header! I've never had an aftermarket manifold so I don't know how it would compare but this thing definitely rocks and gets GOBS of compliments! Hopefully I have better luck with it.... I don't plan to run it over 1600 degrees hardly EVER and I'm hoping thats what is where the line is drawn. I've seen 1700 once or twice out of this thing before, but the timing was high and everything was out of whack. I have to work it hard to get 1500 now. Seems like most everyone that had problems out of their header has been hooking it to a sled and we all know the EGT's get stupid on a sled LOL, or if you're like me you just don't look and don't wanna know what it is LOL

Friday night wound up being an all nighter.... me and headcase98002 borrowed a buddy's shop and got it all tore down, cleaned the pump and block a little and shot some rattle can paint. Got the 75hp sticks in it, put the Mack plug in, cross threaded the oil feed fitting in the pump (the brass elbow that the hose goes onto) made a run to my house and got another (middle of night Lowes was closed). My pump pin is MIA and my cam gear one is broke. A buddy was going to bring his over but his trans line blew pulling out of his driveway so we eye balled it and went from there, set at 17* by the dial indicator and going by feel on cam gear and eye ball/mirror on pump timing pin. Had to get truck back and running to go push the snow that was starting to come down. It starts and runs fine, we will redo it later I suppose once I get some pins, or we should have done it measuring total plunger lift I guess but that was an afterthought. I was running on no sleep for a couple days and not thinking the best.
Didn't get pics of clean block but here's a few pics from the work night...
Don't know if the mack plug will make any difference since I have a 210 pump but it was cheap enough. I didn't even measure it VS. the old one...

Haven't got to drive it hard enough to see what the injectors will do but so far they seem like an improvement over the other ones. The timing is so different that may be making a difference too. The whole setup still needs a lot of adjustment as always... never gonna be content LOL

Attachments

• photo 2 (4).jpg
    photo 2 (4).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4 (2).jpg
    photo 4 (2).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2 (3).jpg
    photo 2 (3).jpg