Heim joints Necessary in Traction bars?

RickFox

I am going to start building a set a traction bars for pulling here soon, and I was wondering if the heim joints are necessary or if a guy could just use an adjustable 4-link bar end? What I am looking at is something like this
Adjustable4-LinkBarEndwith1-18Studa.jpg

Would 4 of these work if you got 2 LH thread and 2 RH thread? Do you think they are going to bind? All/any help is appreciated. Do you think it would work better if you put these on the back and a heim in the front?

Rick

i wouldn't see why not. i just went to my local farm and fleet and bout some tractor bars and cut the ends and welded in my tube. not fine threaded but works and cheap.

they'll work fine the only thing I would do is to try and get them with a 5/8 bolt hole in them. and any traction bar without a shackle mount on it is going to put the suspension in some form of bind.

yeah hiems and adaptors are expensive. How much are them joints you found?

I think they were somewhere around $20 they are at suicidedoors.com

Rick

they'll work fine the only thing I would do is to try and get them with a 5/8 bolt hole in them. and any traction bar without a shackle mount on it is going to put the suspension in some form of bind.

These are 3/4 bolt holes I do believe. what do you mean shackle mount?

Rick

Any side to side twist or rotation is why I opted for rod ends, it might not happen but im prepared if it does!
Brandon

Any side to side twist or rotation is why I opted for rod ends, it might not happen but im prepared if it does!
Brandon

That is why I was thinking these on the back, and a heim or a johnny joint on the front.

Rick

by shackle I mean putting a shackle like whats at the back of your leaf springs at the frame end of the traction bar that way the axle will still follow the ark of the springs.

The easy place to mount to on the rear is on the leaf spring brackets. These brackets are not in line with the frame where the front mount goes. The only way you can run the 'solid' rubber or polyurethane ends is if you make a bracket off the frame to line up with or mount to a different place on the rear. If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll try to explain it differently.

No i got ya, I guess I didn't think about that either, I am out of town, in a hotel, not able to work b/c of the snow and just thinking, looking at sites trying to plan ahead. I guess I did know that the didn't line up, just didn't think about that. I had planned on mounting under the leaf spring bracket. Thanks for the help guys! This makes sense, guess I will just stick with the heims, what are best kind that are going to hold up? Will the Zinc coated ones hold up to the elements? Should they be tephlon lined?

Rick

QA1, Aurora, FK are all good brands to go with I would also make sure they are teflon lined and at least a 7/8" size.

Back