Help me choose!

I've often wondered what the TDI in my 02 Jetta would do for mileage in a Jeep Scrambler or newer Wrangler-X (or whatever the 4-dr jeep wranglers are called) or even a Tacoma or square-body S-10?!?! If it'd get 30-35mpg rolling on 33" AT tires, I'd love to DD something like that!!!

Over on 4btswaps, it's not un-common for folks to post 25-30mpg with 4bt-powered jeeps and other small trucks.

A guy with a 4bt 2wd rc lb classic (03-07) body chevy posts that he can get 30mpg on the hwy.

I think the guy with the 4b1t isuzu in the 70s model f100 rc sb was getting similar mpg and his was making great HP too with pump work, injectors, twins, yada.

I've often wondered what the TDI in my 02 Jetta would do for mileage in a Jeep Scrambler or newer Wrangler-X (or whatever the 4-dr jeep wranglers are called) or even a Tacoma or square-body S-10?!?! If it'd get 30-35mpg rolling on 33" AT tires, I'd love to DD something like that!!!

Over on 4btswaps, it's not un-common for folks to post 25-30mpg with 4bt-powered jeeps and other small trucks.

A guy with a 4bt 2wd rc lb classic (03-07) body chevy posts that he can get 30mpg on the hwy.

I think the guy with the 4b1t isuzu in the 70s model f100 rc sb was getting similar mpg and his was making great HP too with pump work, injectors, twins, yada.

I think the TDI engine would be much better suited for something smaller and lighter like a Samurai or something like that. I think you would be asking too much of it in a bigger and heavier Jeep... $.02

I always wanted to do a tdi mini truck like a regular cab 2wd hard body. I had an 83 d50 turbo diesel and I got low 40's with it pretty regularly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I want to swap a Duramax into my 2000 Tahoe Limited (square body style like the 1999s) and I'm sure I will get much better mileage than the 350 gasser in it now, but I don't think I'll be able to break 30 MPG...

I always wanted to do a tdi mini truck like a regular cab 2wd hard body. I had an 83 d50 turbo diesel and I got low 40's with it pretty regularly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Now we are getting somewhere! Anyone know anything about tdi swaps? I'm thinking a tdi Tacoma regular cab sounds fun. Maybe on air ride

Sent from

I think the TDI engine would be much better suited for something smaller and lighter like a Samurai or something like that. I think you would be asking too much of it in a bigger and heavier Jeep... $.02

If a sick little 100hp na 4cyl gasser can move the Sammy around just fine, a torquey TDI making same or slightly better power should be able to get around ok if the gearing is right. It won't win any races I know but should be ok for casual DD driving. Or do you think the jeeps I desired are just too hvy? What do they weigh? 5500-6000?

I bought a 06 TDI Jetta 39 months ago. I have put 110,000 miles on it since I got it. The fuel savings vs driving my Cherokee at 15 MPG or my truck at 15 MPG has paid for the car 100%.

I never owned a car prior to this one, and I am not sure I will ever own another one. It looks good, scoots well, and is dead nuts reliable. It has 197,6XX on it now, and I would not hesitate to drive it across country.

I would not suggest a saturn. I have been driving one for the last 3 years and they are great little cars that get good mileage (36-38mpg) but the major issue now is that the parts are becoming alot harder to find. I have a bad bearing in the extension axle on the passenger side and it is to the point I'm driving it until its finished and the car is getting sold for parts.

If a sick little 100hp na 4cyl gasser can move the Sammy around just fine, a torquey TDI making same or slightly better power should be able to get around ok if the gearing is right. It won't win any races I know but should be ok for casual DD driving. Or do you think the jeeps I desired are just too hvy? What do they weigh? 5500-6000?

Yup, in my opinion the bigger jeeps you mentioned would be a little much for a TDI, especially with big wheels and tires. I'm sure it could be made into a good off roader OR a decent daily driver but the gearing needed to make it a good off roader would make it terrible on the freeway... I think the little engines are best suited for the little jeeps like a Sammy. But I'm sure there are people that can and will prove me wrong!

I look forward to trying to put a Duramax into my Tahoe and I think it will be a blast to drive AND get MUCH better mileage than it gets with the 350 gasser! If I get the project going like I want you guys will see it in Diesel World!

Yup, in my opinion the bigger jeeps you mentioned would be a little much for a TDI, especially with big wheels and tires. I'm sure it could be made into a good off roader OR a decent daily driver but the gearing needed to make it a good off roader would make it terrible on the freeway... I think the little engines are best suited for the little jeeps like a Sammy. But I'm sure there are people that can and will prove me wrong!

I look forward to trying to put a Duramax into my Tahoe and I think it will be a blast to drive AND get MUCH better mileage than it gets with the 350 gasser! If I get the project going like I want you guys will see it in Diesel World!
I always had the idea of doing the Tahoe Duramax swap. But I'm not a big enough fan, just a firm believer of keeping the blood in their own.
I am however considering an Excursion with a Cummins swap. :cool:
What say you?

I always had the idea of doing the Tahoe Duramax swap. But I'm not a big enough fan, just a firm believer of keeping the blood in their own.
I am however considering an Excursion with a Cummins swap. :cool:
What say you?

A Fummins Excursion should be a great truck, especially if replacing a trouble prone V10 or 6.0!!! Go for it!

I did a 250 mile "commute" yesterday and one last Friday.
Got any ideas on anything that'll get even 20mpg while hauling 4 tons on a trailer? :hehe:

I know a guy that just stuck a VE 12 valve into an early '80s Caprice Classic and is pulling down 28-32 mpg.
Not bad for a good ride, 4 doors and NOT a pick-up or SUV.

He has a total of maybe 2k in it. At that I could justify a swap for fuel mileage.

Mark.

Another vote for a TDI. Its my first car, and I kind of wonder why I never bought one before. On summer fuel, I've been averaging over 50 mpg. Over 40k km, I'm averaging 45+ mpg, about 25k of that was in the winter on poor fuel. It's an '02, virtually rust free, well optioned, and I paid $4500 for it. I've been saving roughly $0.12/km in fuel vs my truck, so it has paid for itself already in fuel savings alone. I could crash it tomorrow and still be money ahead.

If you're looking for a commuter vehicle, do the TDI. Save the swap as a toy.

Gasser Honda or an old vw diesel....

I would lean towards a gasser Honda. Old CRX or civics can be found under a grand and are reliable as hell. I've owned an old VW diesel...wouldn't wish that upon anybody with a far commute to be honest. I bought my VW for 600 bucks and drove it for a year. Paid for itself but it was not comfy in the slightest. Only have a 20 mile commute (20 minute drive in these parts) so I lived with it.

Didn't they make one with the 7.3 as well?
If I got that one.. Idk if I'd have the gall to do a swap.

Yes there are 7.3L excursions out there.... But most owners tend to hold on to them a lot more than the 6.0L anyhow!!! I you're going to do a Cummins swap I would look for a v10 or 6.0L as you will probably find one with less miles, nicer paint and interior for less money!!!

Yes there are 7.3L excursions out there.... But most owners tend to hold on to them a lot more than the 6.0L anyhow!!! I you're going to do a Cummins swap I would look for a v10 or 6.0L as you will probably find one with less miles, nicer paint and interior for less money!!!
Not to mention the front end style will differ to the newer, cleaner look.
I'll remember that.
Thanks Chris

Back