Help with a 5R110 problem

ozyf250

Just found a reason for my excessive heat problem in the trans. I have oil pumping out of both side ports that go to the coolers.
Has anyone got a oil schematic for these gearboxs. Ive been searching and have not come up with anything.
The trans builder has everything but an oil spec and direction of flow.
Thanks

HELLO please some one must have a link or picture of a 5R110 oil pasages

Thanks for the reply, but I cant open the link, It comes up 404 error file not found. That has come a every now and then when I was searching for this info

I have managed to find lots of info on solinoids and clutches and tunes but nothing on oil flows. What do you guys call a diagram that show an oil circuit???

Try again

atsg.com/dyndata/articles/pdf/Ford%205R110W%20Torqshift.pdf

Copy that into your browser and search

Last edited:
Thanks matty169 it worked then. I had seen that one. the trouble is it only shows the l/h side and dosent mention anything about oil flows.
The weird thing with mine is I have 250-300psi and it drives ok even pulled my goose neck trailer the other day, so its not slipping. I just want to know what may have broken or dislodged inside that would cause it to pump oil out the return...

Matty169 I tried to send a reply to you but apparently I havent posted enough on here so it kicked me out. Thanks for your reply

RH is passenger side. Oil flows out the front port on right side, through coolers and into the rear of the trans. Page 61 figure 4.

Last edited:
Yea but how does it run inside the box. From what Ive read and heard the oil is supposed to return "unrestricted" to the trans Pan.
WHY am I getting oil "pumping" out of the rear port?? Its also "pumping" out of the front port aswell.

Sorry our passenger side is your drivers side. Down Here

Well.....your left side should still be our left side. LOL

Sure your cooler isnt plugged????
Overfull?
Disconnect return hose to trans and start the truck. Put the hose in a bucket. What happens?

Have deleted the external filter and housing completely and blown air through the lines, so no restriction down to the coolers.
Right fluid level
Yea I have done that check with the return hose.
I rang Sun coast and have been told that if you remove the return line it will flow oil out, it relys on the return oil from the coolers to keep it in the box its all part of the circulating oil, Theres about 40psi at the front port and approx 25-30psi at the return. Im about to chase up a flow meter and pressure gage and test both ports. They seem to think I may have something blocking or restricting the thermastat inside the pump. But the internal filter should have taken care of that. I still havent been able to find an INTERNAL oil schematic as yet...

Thanks. I got the father inlaw to go to his ford dealer in town and was told they dont carry schematics any more for those early boxs. So it will be interesting what they tell you.
Thanks again

Back