Help with advice on mods

RJL0110

Hi everyone I'm Jason. I just bought my first diesel a 2016 Ram Crew Laramie. I lifted it three inches on 33in Nittos with Kmc xd 811 rs2's. I am looking to add some mods that won't completely void my warranty but add power to my truck so when i'm not pulling my race car trailer i can show everyone around what that monster of a truck will do. I know the first thing is a tuner, i was thinking about adding the Edge with attitude. I like the features and power that you get but i am open to other suggestions like i said my first diesel. The next thing is my truck came with the active air Ram Box which looks to be comparable to other aftermarket intakes except the actual filter, but if you guys think its worth replacing i'm down. Next on my list is the exhaust, my truck has this DPF filter which i don't completely understand yet but have a good idea it's like a catalytic converter on a car....but would you guys go with a 5in from the turbo back with 6in tip or go from the DPF back? I thank you guys in advance for any and all advice i can get before spending the money on stuff that i will not be happy with. I am also open to other parts that i have not mentioned or probably thought of. Once again i'm looking to make my truck something cars will think twice about messing with when i'm not pulling my trailer. Thanks once again and God Speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_232626.jpg
    IMG_20160817_232626.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
I really don't think the 5in exhaust from the DPF back is really worth it seeing as all the emissions is still on the vehicle. I do know if this was my truck the only tuner/tuning I would do would be efi.

Anything you do to the truck performance wise will void your warranty. If your ok with that get EFI live tuning from one of the many great tuners that are on this site. Leave the stock airbox as there is no need for an after market one at any of the power levels you would be looking at. If you get EFI you can delete your DPF and your DEF. Again all of this will void your warranty.

Anything you do to the truck performance wise will void your warranty. If your ok with that get EFI live tuning from one of the many great tuners that are on this site. Leave the stock airbox as there is no need for an after market one at any of the power levels you would be looking at. If you get EFI you can delete your DPF and your DEF. Again all of this will void your warranty.

In red, absolutely not true.

Eli live tuning is with which tuning system? Also i wasn't just speaking of 5in from dpf, i was asking if anyone went with the 5in from the turbo back on a newer truck.

Yes, guys go with full exhausts all the time. Exhaust and tune will void your warranty but it's whatever a guy wants to do. Calibrated Performance/cummins tuner has been pushing emissions in tact tuning recently.

I agree, with a full exhaust and tuner unless you know someone at the dealership, you can say good by to your warranty.

Anything that defeats emissions and increases power will void your powertrain warranty. It's an easy case for them to make that you upped the power and that's why something broke. Or they 'specifically tuned' something so your failure wouldn't happen, but then you used someone else's tuning.

Honestly, I'd say either leave it stock, or roll the dice and modify it the right way.
If you do a tune and delete your emissions, you're going to increase power, fuel economy, and your engine will last a lot longer (EGR smooths out cylinder walls and dirties your oil).

And DPF doesn't work like a catalyst other than the fact that it is emissions equipment in your exhaust. It's a ceramic filter eccentrically that catches soot (solids) while letting the exhaust gasses pass. It's not very efficient and you have to do regens to get it hot enough to burn off those solids/soot that stick to it.

SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction)(what uses DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)) is actually pretty great stuff. This would be the equivalent of a catalyst. It's a tank you fill every 5,000-10,000 and it cleans up the exhaust really well with almost no cost to you. The problem is when they fail, they are expensive.

EGR is the same as on gassers. It uses inert gasses from the exhaust to help catalyze the burn of diesel fuel. At the same time it reburns the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. This is good in theory, but it takes a lot of cooling power to get it to reasonable temps that the intake will like, and also pumps soot into your engine which slowly hurts the engine.

If you void you warranty and remove all of these with a reasonable tune, you'll likely not have any engine problems. You are at more risk of transmission issues though, and the 68RFE is not a cheap transmission to build and bulletproof. There are transmission tunes that keep the shift pattern and torque converter lock-up out of the 'trouble area's' though so they last a lot longer.

Back