how big of single?

06cumminz

hey guys im building a drag truck on a small budget and want to know what single turbo yall recommend running. all parts are used or cheap.

91 motor with 300k on the clock
96 head fitted with bigger valves ported and polished and o ringed head,(log machined off)
arp head studs
hamilton cam, push rods, valve springs
215 p pump, full cut delivery valves, 4k kit
built auto

im sure theres more, if yall have any questions feel free to ask. all help is appreciated.

thanks

i was thinking 6x.016's the cam is undecided as of right now still talking with hamilton, and the trans im not so sure on either, its more of a list of parts i have in mind, still trying to find the right recipe for everything. i have a stock 47re im going to build.

thanks

Well, then you need to decide where you want to be hp. Wise and then you can pick a charger. From there you can match the cam and converter to the charger.

i know the 1st generation motor isnt going to handle high horsepower long, so im think around 700 hp. this truck will still be street legal but not a daily driver. ill be runnin 3.07 gears with a 33'' tire. I dont want to spend more than 4500 rpm cause this is a original bottom end.

thanks

why wouldnt a 1st gen motor handle it? isnt the block just the same as a 12v

Also, if it is the early non-intercooled engine, the pistons are much better. The bowls are larger, the top ring is lower, which keeps it away from heat, and the wrist pins are almost 200grams lighter per hole. Actually a good block. If the oil was changed regularly the bottom end should still be in good shape. The main wear point in the bottom end is always the top rod bearing. You might pull an oil sample to have it tested for signs of wear in that department. On a sidenote my brothers old 12v truck made 893hp at 370,000 +/- miles. Don't don't plan a funeral for it until it's dead.

Zach

unfortunatly its the 1st year of the intercooled version, i thought that my motor and the later 92 93 had better cooling ports in the block as well as the head.

Back