How much oil and r-132a for my 97?

CorneliusRox

Seasoned Rookie
Does anyone have this info? I'm going to toss a new dryer on, add some oil, and charge the system. Just not sure how much it needs.

I was thinking somewhere around an ounce of oil and 650g of r-132a.

Considering the system had the proper amount of oil in it to start with, you're correct with adding an ounce upon accumulator installation. I also recommend installing a new orifice tube at this time as they are only ~$1 at your local parts store

Charge with two lbs of freon.

7.75 ounces of PAG 100

2.0 pounds of R-134a

Treed by Black.

The oil figure above is considering you have flushed the system and installed a new compressor with no oil in it.

Last edited:
Also, don't forget to vacuum the system for at least 45 minutes; preferably one hour before charging.

Yup, I vacuum for 1 hour, let sit for 30min to verify no leaks or moisture, and then start filling it. :Cheer:

Considering the system had the proper amount of oil in it to start with, you're correct with adding an ounce upon accumulator installation. I also recommend installing a new orifice tube at this time as they are only ~$1 at your local parts store

Charge with two lbs of freon.

What is this orifice tube you're talking about? I've never replaced one. And can I grab one from the local auto parts store? I was going to get everything done today (have to use the truck Wednesday).

One more question for you guys, is there any merit to the stuff that has 'o-ring conditioner' built into the bottles? I have a large tank of r-132a, but I was thinking of picking up one of these conditioner bottles for my 20 year old system.

Should be able to get the orifice tube from the parts store. It goes in the vertical line on the condensor.

Should be able to get the orifice tube from the parts store. It goes in the vertical line on the condensor.

Good deal, I'll swap it out too then. Thanks!

O'Reilly's:

Murray Climate Control 38641 - Orifice Tube | O'Reilly Auto Parts

My personal opinion on "conditioner" is the same as stop leak and other snake oil additives. If o-rings and seals are bad you just need to replace them.

kinda what I was thinking. Just thought I'd ask. I did buy the two o-rings that go off the compressor (most prone from what I've read). And thanks for the link.

Thanks for the advice guys. Got her all taken care of and now I can't leave the AC on full blast because it's like an ice box!!

My service truck ('94) has probably the coldest ac of any truck I've ever been in. I'll blow 35-37*F on the hottest days. On my '96 half ton cummins I installed one of the new plate style condensers like on the new trucks. (Vs the oem tube style) They are non flushable but are supposed to be more efficient. No real world experience yet as I'm just finishing the build.

Back