How to filter Black Diesel ???

mocetane

I am wanting to try burning WMO/ATF (Black Diesel) at 50-75% mixed with Diesel in my 1991 W350.
I have found a local source for WMO/ATF mixed (it is from a tranny shop/auto shop) It has water and antifreeze mixed into it from blown HG's etc. SO this stuff is in need of some good filtering and dewatering.
They will sell me any/all I want for the same $.40/gallon salvage price they get from the current disposal company.
Anyone out there with experience with this mess. Is it worth it?
I can filter it with a household filter down to 1 micron. But I still need to get the water/antifreeze out. I don't know if a RAYCOR filter would handle the quanity of water or not. Would a centrifuge work better? I have seen some stuff on youtube showing how a centrifuge really polishes the oil after a 1 micron filtration.
Will heating it over time/temp. get the water out ??????
There are adds on evilbay for turnkey filtration systems and pumps for $200-300 with a raycor water separator.
Sorry for such a long post, but I am new to this stuff and have a FEW questions. Thanks

If I were you I would lean more towards the 50% mark over the 75. I hear a centrifuge will really do wonders when it comes to filtering oil. I think if you plan on doing this a lot that would be a good long term investment.

If it's had water or antifreeze in it don't use it. There are enough sources for good free oil to look elsewhere. I use a 6 micron filter on a hand pump to filter the oil. I would also stay at or under a 50/50 mix.

014.JPG

Thanks for the replys.
I would prefer good used oil over emulsified crap, but one never knows what is going to be in there.
I posted a similar guestion on another site and replys were to "heat it up and let it settle for a few weeks and then drain the oil off the bottom using a cone shaped barrel and then filter it thru a Goldenrod water separator."
That sounds OK. I have plenty of barrels and time.
My concern is that there will still be traces of water and antifreeze enough to damage the IP. ????
There seems to be a few different opinions out there. Guess this is still a relatively new practice/proceedure...

Thanks for the replys.
I would prefer good used oil over emulsified crap, but one never knows what is going to be in there.
I posted a similar guestion on another site and replys were to "heat it up and let it settle for a few weeks and then drain the oil off the bottom using a cone shaped barrel and then filter it thru a Goldenrod water separator."
My concern is that there will still be traces of water and antifreeze enough to damage the IP. ????
There seems to be a few different opinions out there. Guess this is still a relatively new practice/proceedure...

Personally I would avoid anything with antifreeze like it was the plague. A good water seperator should help. I am looking at trying to get an OC-20 Dieselcarft centrifuge and using the waste oil to heat my garage. Figure between that, a water seperator and a cat 1r0749 fuel filter I should be ok...

If it's had water or antifreeze in it don't use it. There are enough sources for good free oil to look elsewhere. I use a 6 micron filter on a hand pump to filter the oil. I would also stay at or under a 50/50 mix.

014.JPG

What is the part number on that filter you are using?

Thanks for the replys.

What scares me about this is they told you to get the oil off of the bottom? Doesn't oil float on the water? Maybe this was a typo.

Just a thought, but wouldnt you want a magnet to pick out any metal shavings that get past the filter?

aluminum and brass are not ferrous and will not get picked up by a magnet. Here in CA shops have to pay $50-100 a barrel to get rid of waste oil.

you can get a centrifuge that will de-water and filter down to 1 micron for about $250

I have a 275 gal tank I put all mine into. It leans toward the one end and there is a drain there. Once in a while I drain it. Usually there is no water with my oil tho. I just pull from the upper side and don't pull anything out immediately after filling the tank. I do filter mine. 2 filters. A 32 micron and a 12. After that, it hits the truck which has a 10 micron. Whatever makes it past that can go thru my pump. After more than 30k miles, I've had no problems running wmo.

has anyone had any trouble with the soot in the oil sticking to the injector tip as it burns. or would someone be better off running wmo from a gasoline engine.?

I cut my used oil with 50% clean diesel in a 55 gallon barrel. My pump has a 140 micron pre filter, then after the 150GPH pump the oil goes through a 10 micron and a 2 micron filter. I polish the oil for 5 or 6 hours before putting it in my truck tank. I do NOT use oil with water in it.

I'm so glad to see that i'm not the only one out there mixing waste oil with my Diesel fuel

Back