Hx35 conversion

89cumminstd

Hi guys, I am doing an intercooler conversion on my 89 cummins. I just picked up an hx35 turbo off a 1999 24 valve. I already noticed where the air cleaner hooks up is much bigger, and I am going to have to put a v band style exhaust flange on it. And the oil feed line is a different size, has anyone done this swap? Also the oil drain like is that different?

stock down pipe needs 1.5 cut out ( if i remember the length right ) , feed and drain line are the same , inlet is bigger ,like you said. pretty easy swap , only other thing is if the hx35 you have has a removable adapter to the sen gen down pipe. I cant remember witch years had them off the top of my head . and need a flange to pipe adapter

I put an HX35 from a '97 on my '89. You'll need an adapter for the oil feed line. It is the same fitting as on the opposite of that line on the oil filter head. This only applies to non-intercooled trucks.

I never cut anything off of my down pipe. I had both 3" and 4" down pipes.

It sounds like you have the non-vband outlet (Cummins 3590110) so you'll need to swap that out. I think you need 3533029. Should be about $30 brand new.

Because I'm ultra-cheap, I used a 4" 45* boot to a section of 4" exhaust to a 4-4.5" 45* boot to the factory filter. I had like $50 in it.

I put an HX35 from a '97 on my '89. You'll need an adapter for the oil feed line. It is the same fitting as on the opposite of that line on the oil filter head. This only applies to non-intercooled trucks.

I never cut anything off of my down pipe. I had both 3" and 4" down pipes.

It sounds like you have the non-vband outlet (Cummins 3590110) so you'll need to swap that out. I think you need 3533029. Should be about $30 brand new.

Because I'm ultra-cheap, I used a 4" 45* boot to a section of 4" exhaust to a 4-4.5" 45* boot to the factory filter. I had like $50 in it.

could be right on the fitting (Been 5years or so since i did one on a non ic) , i would put a new feed line on the turbo if i was doing it anyways go to jic fitting . i know on the 6-7 i did i had to cut some out of the down pipe to keep spacing on the pipe . Not saying they all need done

Thank you all for the help! I will try and get the rest of these parts scraped together in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the Info guys, i got the fittings to convert the oil feed line to the hx35, when I am all done with it I will probably do a full thread with part #s as well.

Back