injector failure?

RickFox

Well I think I might have an injector with a cracked tip, truck is definately running on five cylinders. I thought I would start with the easiest thing and work my way down until I find the problem. I was wondering if I could start the truck and start loosening injector lines to figure out which cylinder is the one that isn't fireing? Or should I just pull all six of them and get them all tested? Thanks ahead of time,
Rick

Yes, you can crack injector lines and get the same effect as if you pulled a wire off the distributor of a gasser. I would say though, if you find a problem with one injector, its best to get them all checked. If I'm not mistaken, a cracked tip usually ends up with lots of white smoke from the extra fuel being delivered.

The 7x14's I used to have cracked a tip and it started hazing pretty good at idle... It didn't run any different till it blew off all the way though. If you are pretty positive that its the injectors I would pull them all and have them tested. My injector cost me a motor and thousands of dollars. Definitely the last used injectors I'll ever buy again.

I know that if any of them are bad that they arent going back in the truck, I highly doubt they will be going in the truck anyway, but I guess I was just trying to figure out which cylinder is being the pain in my ass.

In all reality I am sure I am just telling myself it is an injector, but I am sure with my luck I will be redoing the motor sometime soon. I guess at 193000, it is about time for this to happen, we will just have to see if I swoled the motor or not.

Thanks for the input guys,
Rick

Are you hazing at idle? Pull them out and send them off. Just pulled this from a truck 2 days ago. Picked up a good idle haze and slight lope. Ra-tard drove 100+ miles after I told him to shut it down.

CrackedRCPNozzle005.jpg

CrackedRCPNozzle006.jpg

Are you hazing at idle?

I am not too sure it actually started it right before I got it home from work, so I just parked it. I am hoping to dig a little deeper into it tomorrow. Thanks again.

On a side note can I ask want brand injector that is?

When it happened, It was a light switch for this individual. Started to lope and shut down when coming up to a light and never leveled out. If it is a nozzle failure you will notice it as clear as day when you pull them out.

JL 7x.010 w/ .015 lift & stroke with roughly 13k miles.

Well I started the truck this morning and it hazed pretty bad at idle. . Got all of the injectors out this morning hopefully drop them off tomorrow to get checked out. I persomally didn't see anything wrong with them, but that means nothing.

When it happened, It was a light switch for this individual. Started to lope and shut down when coming up to a light and never leveled out. If it is a nozzle failure you will notice it as clear as day when you pull them out.

JL 7x.010 w/ .015 lift & stroke with roughly 13k miles.

I noticed pretty much right away too, it had no power at all. It would almost die at a stop but was noticeably not running on all cylinders and had really ride the clutch to get it movong. We will see this week what is up with it.

Thanks for the input.

I cracked a tip on a set of JL 7x.012 going 70 mph, starded knocking like a sob I pulled over and a cloud of white smoke passed me. I got it shut down 5-8 sec after it started cause I was warned it might happen with a 7 hole so I knew what to listen for when it happened. Thank god nothing else was taken out.

Well today I talked to the place that tested my injectors and here is what they told me:
Excessive leakdown
Poor/no atomization
Very drippy

Sounds to me this could of been my problem, does this sound like it could of been the problem to you guys?

Thanks,
Rick

Back