injector install

S04X

I'm sure it has been asked before but I would like to have detailed instructions on injector removal and install for my 04 Excursion(late build 6.0). While I'm asking, pictures would be nice as well. I have searched here and a couple other places and some steps I read seem a little vague. I guess they will make more sense once I pull the valve covers but I want as much info as I can gather before I start. Thanks for reading.

It's very self explanitory. When you pull the valve cover off, you'll see the oil mainifolds covering the rocker assembly and injectors. Unbolt the manifolds and pull them off. They are sealed to the top of the injectors with o-rings so give it a tug and make sure the oil supply pipes that go through the center of the head stay put. Once the manifold is off, unplug the injectors and get a long torx bit socket (don't remember what size) to remove the injector bolts. The injector fastening bolt acts as a puller when you remove the it. The injector will come out with it. Get a tool to suck out all the fuel that spills into the cylinder when you take the injector out. Make sure your new o-rings are on the injectors correctly, clean out injector bores and inspect, then press in the injectors. Get the correct torque specs for the injectors and then simply reassemble. Just be sure to get the fuel out of the cylinders otherwise you'll hydro the motor when you go to start it up. That's just a quick rundown......hope this helps. PM me if you've got any other questions.

I've done injectors few times already....there's not enough of fuel in the rail of the head to hydrolock the motor Biggest thing is to blow out the hole the injector sits in...and blow out the injector holder bolt hole. If there is oil in the injector holder bolt hole and you don't blow it out...the injector will loosen up over time.

6.0l Bible Sticky at the top of the page. It has all instructions that you need. I used it when I changed mine.

Back