Injector Shorting Out?

Up In Smoke06

Diesel Freak
I was going down the road today and all of a sudden I just lost all power. I got out looked underneath the hood and found nothing. My truck sounded like a bumblebee like it wasnt hitting on all cylinders. I turned around and came back home and downloaded my programmer back to stock and started it back up and was fine for about 2 minutes and then started making the same noise again. It wasnt blowing any gray or white or smoke or anything and it wasnt throwing no code and I was just curious if i had a injector shorting out. I have a 06 2500 with about 66k miles on it. PLEASE HELP THANKS!!!!!

I let my truck sit for about an hour or so got in it and took it down the road and the noise was gone. It ran just like it should, my truck is back on stock and now im clueless. I need help and or suggestions!!!

If you catch it doing it again, unplug pairs of injectors, try to run the engine on two holes at a time. If you get down to a pair it won't run on, you've found which two to check under the valve cover. hook up all connections. pull the cover, start the engine and unhook one of the two injectors. if the engine changes, that one is contributing. put it back and check the other. you should find one that doesn;t change the engine note when unhooked.

Last edited:
Thanks Man. I got appointment to take it to the shop monday ive still got a warranty on it. Im praying it isnt nothing major. Ive never had any problems outta my truck, Ive had it 2 years. I talked to a buddy of mine and i told him what happened and he said it sounded like a bad injector. I had been driving my truck for bout an hour when it started this.

Hey man, sorry I never called you back I slept all day after we got back. It could very well be an injector, iv heard of the valve cover gasket letting the harness ground out, that was part of the problem on jasons truck but in the end he still had to buy a new set of injectors, but he had some pretty big other issues with his lol

Oh yeah, cummins is slightly different, but an electrical problem will throw a code. A mechanical failure of an injector generally will not.

james lee, i didnt drive my truck to work today, buddy of mine i work with came over after we got off and looked at it and we couldnt find anything. It ran fine i loaded my programmer back on and it took it down the road and did fine. He seems to think i coulda had water in my diesel. Im gonna change my fuel filter in the morning cause i havent changed it in a few months. Im not gonna take it to the shop unless it starts it again.

Same thing happened to me. #4 Injector took a dump on me. Ran fine for a while after it happened. Check the resistance on the solenoids.

Tobin

Back