Innercooler hose?

cumins01

For the higher HP 2.6 trucks, how are you keeping boots on? I have a V-band discharge pipe from the turbo. The other end of the pipe from the turbo has a bead edge rolled onto it. The connector boot from that to the innercooler pipe has 4 constant torque camps on it (2 per side) and a bead rolled on the innercooler pipe then a turn buckle holding them together. While pulling this past weekend, the turn buckle threads pulled and boom there went the boot. (slid off) Any ideas on what to try next? Pics would also be good. Also have poly engine mounts. Not sure if the engine is rocking that much but would not think so since I installed the new poly mounts. Was thinking of solid engine mount on one side and the other mount poly. Just want to use that as a last resort.
Thanks

Weld tabs on both sides and use a solid flat bar strap to hold them together. Only way it comes apart is if a bolt shears off or the welds break.

Something must be moving quite a bit to pull the threads out of the turn buckle. Take it to a dyno and watch what is going on. Or stick a go pro in there. Maybe you just need to connect the pipe to the engine so it won’t move around. It all depends on what is moving, the engine or the intercooler / body.

Weld tabs on both sides and use a solid flat bar strap to hold them together. Only way it comes apart is if a bolt shears off or the welds break.

I have 2 bolts, one thru each pipe with a turn buckle. Figured the turn buckle idea was better then a flat bar. But will try that idea.

Something must be moving quite a bit to pull the threads out of the turn buckle. Take it to a dyno and watch what is going on. Or stick a go pro in there. Maybe you just need to connect the pipe to the engine so it won’t move around. It all depends on what is moving, the engine or the intercooler / body.

figured that close to the exhaust pipe the go pro could get hurt. But it's worth a try also.

Is the cooler mounted to the body or frame?

I'd say your engine may be rocking quite a bit versus the ic that is frame mounted, causing the problem

I'd say your engine may be rocking quite a bit versus the ic that is frame mounted, causing the problem

Any idea on the best way to stop it? I thought the poly mounts would help some but maybe not.

Im thinking I may mount my cooler to the front of the engine using a plate bolted where the lower water outlet bolts. Make some brackets, this way all piping can be v-band with no flexible joints required.

Any idea on the best way to stop it? I thought the poly mounts would help some but maybe not.

Chains from higher up on the block/head down to the frame with a heavy duty turn buckle? Also see some guys using the bus style front engine cradle mount. Would give a good solid anchor on the front of the block.

Have someone brake boost it while you are watching the boot. That's how I found out mine was torqueing over bad and hitting the shock tower. I put in the black inserts and it almost removed all flex.

Back