Intake throttle?? Purpose

treukauf

INTAKE THROTTLE FOR PRECISE COMBUSTION TEMPERATURE CONTROL During low load conditions such as idlingfor extended periods and unladen low-speed driving, the temperature of the exhaust falls. To increase the amount of load on the engine during those periods, a throttle is added to the intake system, upstream of the turbocharger. This throttle is operated by the ECM as an additional control for combustion temperatures. ELECTRIC"

Is the intake throttle really used to acomplish this? Because that is ridonkulous... does anyone know if an efi live tune will disable the intake throttle?... what else does it accomplish besides turning the turbo into a horribly inefficient. Heat pump??? No wonder my in town mpg is bad... I'm sure this only occurs during regen....but damn chevy retards...I wish I could adapt Megasquirt to work..remember when volumetreic efficiency used to be important????

Rob, I've heard your very knowledgeable on these dmaxs....what exactly is the intake throttles purpose..is it just for emissions and low load regen...or is it actually a useful aid in warming the engine....my dealer has been replacing a lot of turbos due to chipped engines causing plugged dpfs they said....I just would like to keep turbo heat down... even tho drowining it in diesel on the exhaust stroke can't be healthy...I hate our lazy emissions systems....I can't believe they couldn't build a stand alone emissions unit seperate from the engine without Any egr...well atleast they caught up to the urea..

Thanks

I have noticed one thing about that throttle valve, if you shut if off the truck will shudder a little when you shut the engine off.

The throttle is used for controlling intake manifold pressure for emissions reasons. When combining an intake throttle with a VGT, engine manufactures have very good control over EGR flow rate because you have direct control over the pressure differential between the intake and exhaust manifold. Not ideal for engine efficiency, but manufactures have to keep CARB and EPA happy :). Since the throttle is in there anyway, manufactures have started finding other uses for it as well like regeneration, smooth engine shutdown, etc…

Back