Is a Detroit series 40 the same as a DT 466?

jrshipper

I have a chance to pickup a Detroit series 40 engine with a p-pump. It is in an old Capacity Trailer Jockey. Is this the same as the DT 466? If so what kind of performance mods can be done to it? I am currently putting a 12 valve cummins in my 1982 Ford Bronco, and came across this and thought it would be a good score for a later project. Let me know what you'll think.

Correct, it is a 466 re-badged as a Series 40. Based off of a 93 & newer NGD version of the 466. You can do all the same tricks to the pump as you would a 12 Valve Cummins. My 466 at work has a #0 plate from my old Dodge. Keep in mind, it's likely to have 10mm plungers, so adding a 0 plate full forward wont gain but 40hp. You know the size specs for the 466? it's big & heavy. 1 ton pickup & up.

Yeah I know that it will have to be a 1 ton truck. I was just curious as to what is was exactly before I picked it up, it will be a steal. What kind of tranny would you suggest to put behind it?

3000+ HP in full pulling dress, lol
:lolly:
Thanks Gene!
The hp limit is equal to your budget.
Like a 12 Valve, it doesnt take much to make big power. Figure the torque will be 2.5 times the hp level. Find a used pump from a pulling tractor, like from pulloff.com
The injectors arent the limiting factor until you get closer to 600hp.

Isn't the 545 kinda weak for drag racing. I would think a custom adapter to a 47 or 4r100 would be the way to go there.

The 545 is a low cost option, since an adapter, flex plate, ECM, and other little items would make the 4R swap pretty spendy. Pipewhiner would have more info on the costs.

I had this all made for my swap. It is relative because blowing a trans from too much power not only sucks but is expensive. I have heard rumors about the strenght of the 545. I wonder what it can really take. I mean they put it in school buses for heavens sake.

Well, it's only rated for 545 ftlbs so that should give you an idea of it's capacities lol

Actually it's not even rated for that. Allison says 235hp, and 445tq are max input. That's also at a gross weight of 30k pounds. As it sits, in a pickup, you could get away with a whole lot more.

Mine came out of a school bus, shifted really good! I would have put it in the 250 but changed my mind.

I'd suggest a Fuller FS or FSO-6406 or 8406 six speeds. The FS is direct drive and the FSO is overdrive. You supposedly can convert a FS to an FSO. I'll find out if it is true when I attempt to make my FS-6306 an FSO-6306. A spicer ESO66-7B would be another good overdrive tranny option (7 speed).

Heath

Back